How two perform TPC-H test on postgresql-8.0.2

From
"innodb"
Date:
Currently I want to take a TPC-H test on postgresql-8.0.2. I have downloaded the DBGEN and QGEN from the homepage
ofTPC. But I encountered many problems which forced me to request some help.1. How to load the data from flat file
generatedby dbgen tool? To the best of my knowledge, there is a SQL Loader in Oracle2. How to simulate the currency
environment?Where can I download a client which connects to DB server through ODBC?

Your sincerely!

Re: How two perform TPC-H test on postgresql-8.0.2

From
Neil Conway
innodb wrote:
> Currently I want to take a TPC-H test on postgresql-8.0.2.

You might want to take a look at the TPC-H implementation here:

http://www.osdl.org/lab_activities/kernel_testing/osdl_database_test_suite/osdl_dbt-3/

-Neil

Re: How two perform TPC-H test on postgresql-8.0.2

From
Andrew Dunstan

innodb wrote:

>    Currently I want to take a TPC-H test on postgresql-8.0.2. I have downloaded the DBGEN and QGEN from the homepage
ofTPC. But I encountered many problems which forced me to request some help.

>    1. How to load the data from flat file generated by dbgen tool? To the best of my knowledge, there is a SQL Loader
inOracle

>    2. How to simulate the currency environment? Where can I download a client which connects to DB server through
ODBC?

To be brutally frank, if you have to ask these questions you should not
be running TPC-H benchmarks, IMNSHO. You results are very unlikely to be
fair to you or to PostgreSQL.

TPC-H requires mild modification (took me about 15 minutes) to produce
postgres-ready output, which can be loaded via the COPY command, which
is designed for bulk loading data.

cheers

andrew

Re: How two perform TPC-H test on postgresql-8.0.2

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Inno,

>     Currently I want to take a TPC-H test on postgresql-8.0.2. I have
> downloaded the DBGEN and QGEN from the homepage of TPC. But I encountered
> many problems which forced me to request some help. 1. How to load the data
> from flat file generated by dbgen tool? To the best of my knowledge, there
> is a SQL Loader in Oracle 2. How to simulate the currency environment?
> Where can I download a client which connects to DB server through ODBC?

Get DBT3 from Sourceforge (search on "osdldbt").  This is OSDL's TPCH-like
test.

However, given your knowledge of PostgreSQL you're unlikely to get any kind of
result you can use -- TPCH requires siginficant database tuning knowledge.
How about you ask the questions you really want to know on PGSQL-PERFORMANCE
mailing list?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions