Schedule for 8.1 feature freeze

Date:
We have addressed all the open issues for 8.1 except for auto-vacuum,
which Alvaro is working on, so I think we are ready for a feature freeze
on July 1.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Schedule for 8.1 feature freeze

From
"Dave Page"

What about Andreas' instrumentation stuff? This has been going on since
before 8.0 and it would good to get it in 8.1 given the amount of extra
functionality it allows us to offer users that prefer a GUI interface.

I realise there probably won't be time to fix pg_terminate_backend, or
convince people that it offers the admin the lesser of two evils (my
limited understanding being that there is a chance of it not clearing
some locks, vs, having to shut down the whole server to kill a single
connection) - can we at least get the other functions applied?

Thanks, Dave.

Re: Schedule for 8.1 feature freeze

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> We have addressed all the open issues for 8.1 except for
> auto-vacuum, which Alvaro is working on, so I think we are
> ready for a feature freeze on July 1.

I don't beleive we have :-(

The server instrumentation patch is not yet addressed. Last I checked
there was the objections to pg_terminate_backend (which are certainly
valid,though I and many other still claim this is in daily use at *a
lot* of installations), and nothing substantial to the rest of the
patch. yet it hasn't even made it to the queue (the patch would still be
very useful with just the parts except pg_terminate_backend). I beleive
Andreas is working on separating out the pg_terminate_backend part to a
separate patch to make it easier for whomever would apply it.

There is also the ICU patch. this is *very* much needed for win32, and
from how I read it it's also needed for other platforms. Last I heard
Palle planned to have it fixed up before feature freeze (I'm not sure
exactly what more needed to be fixed). If not then we have to do
something else about unicode on win32 (perhaps under the flag of
"bugfix", but I'm sure it will be more invasive than most would like).
But I realy think a cross-platform thing like ICU is much better.

And there's a pending patch that redoes signal handling on win32. I
haven't had the time to check it through myself, as I've been
unexpectedly-out-of-town several times lately, but it was posted some
time ago and shoudl probalby be at least considered. (I'm not 100% sure
it's a worthwhile simplification myself, but I'll have to look into it
muc more careful before I can form an actual opinion on it)

Finally a heads-up: I'm looking at an updated patch to remove the
Kerberos V4 support. I posted to both hackers and general a month ago
asking for people who use it for exactly zero responses. It's not quite
done yet, but I plan to have it done before July 1st. But it's definitly
not something to hold up a freeze date for if I'm not.

Is there an "Open Issues" list yet, as you usually prepare for releases?
If so, can you please put these items up on it?

//Magnus

Re: Schedule for 8.1 feature freeze

From
Oleg Bartunov