User/Group Quotas Revisited

From
"Jonah H. Harris"
Date:
I've sent this again as it hadn't appeared on the list in over 4 hours;
hopefully it isn't posted twice :).

Anyway, on to the main topic...

I've spent some time looking at my user/group quota patch and have
decided to start a new one for 8.x and need some decisions made:

- When to check quota (I'm leaning toward at commit)

- Is quota determined by the ACTUAL sizes of user-owned objects.

- Quota creation syntax  CREATE USER foo QUOTA 10M ON bar;  ALTER USER foo QUOTA 1G ON bar;  CREATE GROUP group QUOTA
100MON sometbspc;  ...

- Quota removal syntax  ALTER USER foo NOQUOTA ON bar;  OR  ALTER USER foo QUOTA UNLIMITED ON bar;

- Size parameter - Currently the following is allowed (I removed
kilobytes):  file_size       {digit}+[m|M|g|G|t|T]

- Who has permissions to set the user's quota per tablespace, the
superuser and the tablespace owner?

- How do we want to store quotas in the catalog?  I can go with an
aclitem-like array approach at the tablespace level or create a
pg_quota relation (aclitem-like array approach seems nicer, but you may
know something I don't)

Anything else you can think of, let me know.

Thanks.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Sr. Web Administrator | phone: 505.224.4814
Albuquerque TVI                        | fax:   505.224.3014

A hacker on a roll may be able to produce, in a period of a few
months, something that a small development group (say, 7-8 people)
would have a hard time getting together over a year.  IBM used to
report that certain programmers might be as much as 100 times as
productive as other workers, or more.

-- Peter Seebach

Re: User/Group Quotas Revisited

From
Gregory Maxwell
Date:
> - Who has permissions to set the user's quota per tablespace, the
> superuser and the tablespace owner?

It would be nice if this were nestable, that is, if the sysadmin could
carve out a tablespace for a user then the user could carve that into
seperately quotated sub tables..

The idea being, a user may have several tables, some of which are
likely to get big and fat and gain lots of crud, but some of which
will never grow too big but you really don't want to fail just because
someone floodded the other table and used up your quota.  It would be
nice if the user could manage that subassignment as he saw fit without
assistance from the admin.

Re: User/Group Quotas Revisited

From
Yann Michel
Date:
Hi,

On Sat, Jun 11, 2005 at 09:45:12PM -0400, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> > - Who has permissions to set the user's quota per tablespace, the
> > superuser and the tablespace owner?
>
> It would be nice if this were nestable, that is, if the sysadmin could
> carve out a tablespace for a user then the user could carve that into
> seperately quotated sub tables..
>
> The idea being, a user may have several tables, some of which are
> likely to get big and fat and gain lots of crud, but some of which
> will never grow too big but you really don't want to fail just because
> someone floodded the other table and used up your quota.  It would be
> nice if the user could manage that subassignment as he saw fit without
> assistance from the admin.

I think this is not necessary, due to yu may suround that problem by
using different tablespaces for that different table types.

Regards,
Yann