Tablespaces

From
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Date:
I'm interested if anyone is using tablespaces?  Do we have any actual
reports of people actually using them, to advantage, in the field??

Maybe the next postgresql.org survey could be on tablespace usage?

Chris

Re: Tablespaces

From
Hans-Jürgen Schönig
Date:
Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> I'm interested if anyone is using tablespaces?  Do we have any actual
> reports of people actually using them, to advantage, in the field??
>
> Maybe the next postgresql.org survey could be on tablespace usage?
>
> Chris

I have seen that tablespaces are widely used and highly appreciated.
I have not seen people complaining about the current implementation.
best regards,
    hans

--
Cybertec Geschwinde u Schoenig
Schoengrabern 134, A-2020 Hollabrunn, Austria

Re: Tablespaces

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 08:41 +0200, Hans-Jürgen Schönig wrote:
> Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> > I'm interested if anyone is using tablespaces?  Do we have any actual
> > reports of people actually using them, to advantage, in the field??
> >
> > Maybe the next postgresql.org survey could be on tablespace usage?
> >

> I have seen that tablespaces are widely used and highly appreciated.
> I have not seen people complaining about the current implementation.

My recent experience is that it is mostly the new Windows users who are
using 8.0. Yes, there are people using Tablespaces on those. The only
complaint is why can't you move pg_xlog easily also?

The migration to 8.0 for a many users appears very slow, with many
PostgreSQL users still planning to enter production on 7.3 and 7.4. This
has much to do with supported versions of integrated products, rather
than any lack of interest in 8.0.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs

Re: Tablespaces

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 11:17 +0800, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> Maybe the next postgresql.org survey could be on tablespace usage?

Could we plan a more comprehensive survey, with more than one question?

Judging by the number of people who fill out surveys, we would still get
thousands of replies if we asked them 10 questions instead of 1. That
would allow us to cross-correlate the answers to gain an even better
picture of what is happening and what is wanted.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs