SQL Request Size

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
What is the maximum SQL statement length that the server will accept?

The libpq message length identifier is 4 bytes, which indicates that the
max length is 4GB. But thats not exactly the same thing...

Most other systems have a SQL request size limit much smaller than this,
though I can't find reference to this.

Thanks,

Best Regards, Simon Riggs

Re: SQL Request Size

From
Hannu Krosing
Date:
On E, 2005-05-16 at 21:18 +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
> What is the maximum SQL statement length that the server will accept?
>
> The libpq message length identifier is 4 bytes, which indicates that the
> max length is 4GB. But thats not exactly the same thing...
>
> Most other systems have a SQL request size limit much smaller than this,
> though I can't find reference to this.

I've had problems with a query generated by slony that was a few hundred
kilobytes in size. It gave me "query too complex" error, probably
overflow somewhere in planner/optimiser.

--
Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee>

Re: SQL Request Size

Date:
> What is the maximum SQL statement length that the server will accept?

There is no fixed limit, short of where you start to overflow memory
and/or stack depth.
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2001-02/msg00776.php
        regards, tom lane