pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org

From
Rob Butler

> >2) As long as we're using CVS, the only way to
> organize autonomous project
> >teams that have authority over their special areas
> but no ability to change
> >central code is to "push out" projects to separate
> CVS trees.
> >

> This has never been an issue before, AFAIK, nobody
> with commit privliges
> in a separate
> package has ever changed the code where they weren't
> supposed to.
>
> To sum this up; the arguments presented are:
>
> 1) The tarball is/was  too big however nobody ever
> complained.
> 2) CVS does not allow different groups to have
> commit privliges, but
> nobody has ever violated the trust

FYI, subversion w/apache allows you to control access
permissions.  So you can have separate
branches/sub-trees with different write permissions
for different developers.

Also, subversion does a fairly decent job of
supporting the same command line options as CVS, so
from the end user side it is fairly close to being a
drop in replacement, because you don't need to
re-learn too much.

Of course there is the conversion from CVS to SVN,
which is not necessarily easy and definetly not
quick/simple.  SVN also has a number of nice features
like atomic commits, versioning directories, etc.

Later
Rob

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org

From
Thomas Hallgren
Date:
Rob Butler wrote:
> ... SVN also has a number of nice features
> like atomic commits, versioning directories, etc.

Still, subversion identifies file content by it's location in the
directory tree which makes the directory versioning a lot less useful
than it could have been. Renaming directories or even renaming files
creates havoc if you have several simultanious branches that need to be
merged at some point. Serious design flaw IMHO.

When will subversion be able to *really* rename or move an element as
opposed to just remove and add?

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Re: pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org

From
Andrew Dunstan

Rob Butler wrote:

>[details of some SVN features]

please see reecent debates on the topic of SCM systems.

"Those who do not remember the debates on the mailing lists are bound to
repeat them."

cheers

andrew