Missing segment 3 of index

From
"Jim Buttafuoco"
Date:
All,

I had to abort a vacuum full after 36 hours on a large table (16 million rows).  I started the vacuum again and after
10 minutes in got to the place I aborted it (control-c) yesterday.  I recieved the following error

ERROR:  could not open segment 3 of relation "emi_110101_idx1" (target block 2079965576): No such file or directory

Will a REINDEX fix this or do I need to drop the index instead?

Thanks
Jim

Re: Missing segment 3 of index

From
Gavin Sherry
Date:
On Fri, 25 Mar 2005, Jim Buttafuoco wrote:

> All,
>
> I had to abort a vacuum full after 36 hours on a large table (16 million rows).  I started the vacuum again and
after
> 10 minutes in got to the place I aborted it (control-c) yesterday.  I recieved the following error
>
> ERROR:  could not open segment 3 of relation "emi_110101_idx1" (target block 2079965576): No such file or directory
>
> Will a REINDEX fix this or do I need to drop the index instead?

A reindex or drop/recreate will do the trick. However, I'd be concerned
about your hardware. I've seen this kind of problem on systems with bad
memory, CPU and disk controllers in the past.

Gavin

Re: Missing segment 3 of index

From
"Jim Buttafuoco"
Date:
After I do a vacuum full, I will run memtest and some disk diags.

Thanks
Jim

------- End of Original Message -------