REL8_0_STABLE and 8.0.1 release client logging difference

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
Hi there,

I noticed client error logging  was changed in REL8_0_STABLE in compare with
8.0.1 release.

8.0.1:
tycho=# select * from pg_stas where srelnae='tycho';
ERROR:  relation "pg_stas" does not exist
tycho=# \q

REL8_0_STABLE:
tycho=# select * from pg_stas where srelnae='tycho';
tycho=# \q

ostgresql.conf was the same.
    Regards,        Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: REL8_0_STABLE and 8.0.1 release client logging difference

Date:
Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I noticed client error logging  was changed in REL8_0_STABLE in compare with
> 8.0.1 release.
>
> 8.0.1:
> tycho=# select * from pg_stas where srelnae='tycho';
> ERROR:  relation "pg_stas" does not exist
> tycho=# \q
>
> REL8_0_STABLE:
> tycho=# select * from pg_stas where srelnae='tycho';
> tycho=# \q
>
> ostgresql.conf was the same.

Uh, you ran the query and got no error message from STABLE?  That seems
almost impossible for us to have broken.  There must be some other reason.

Pennsylvania19073

Date:
On Sat, 12 Mar 2005, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Oleg Bartunov wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I noticed client error logging  was changed in REL8_0_STABLE in compare with
>> 8.0.1 release.
>>
>> 8.0.1:
>> tycho=# select * from pg_stas where srelnae='tycho';
>> ERROR:  relation "pg_stas" does not exist
>> tycho=# \q
>>
>> REL8_0_STABLE:
>> tycho=# select * from pg_stas where srelnae='tycho';
>> tycho=# \q
>>
>> ostgresql.conf was the same.
>
> Uh, you ran the query and got no error message from STABLE?  That seems
> almost impossible for us to have broken.  There must be some other reason.

this is very annoying.

Date:
Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> >> Hi there,
> >>
> >> I noticed client error logging  was changed in REL8_0_STABLE in compare with
> >> 8.0.1 release.
> >>
> >> 8.0.1:
> >> tycho=# select * from pg_stas where srelnae='tycho';
> >> ERROR:  relation "pg_stas" does not exist
> >> tycho=# \q
> >>
> >> REL8_0_STABLE:
> >> tycho=# select * from pg_stas where srelnae='tycho';
> >> tycho=# \q
> >>
> >> ostgresql.conf was the same.
> >
> > Uh, you ran the query and got no error message from STABLE?  That seems
> > almost impossible for us to have broken.  There must be some other reason.
>
> this is very annoying.

Can you actually reproduce the failure by downloading different versions
of CVS and trying it?  I just tested with REL8_0_STABLE and get the
error message just fine.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: REL8_0_STABLE and 8.0.1 release client logging difference

Date:
Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su> writes:
> REL8_0_STABLE:
> tycho=# select * from pg_stas where srelnae='tycho';
> tycho=# \q

Works fine for me in REL8_0_STABLE tip ... and it's working fine on all
the build farm machines too, because this would surely cause all the
regression tests to fail.  Sure you didn't mistakenly change
client_min_messages ?
        regards, tom lane

Date:
On Sat, 12 Mar 2005, Tom Lane wrote:

> Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su> writes:
>> REL8_0_STABLE:
>> tycho=# select * from pg_stas where srelnae='tycho';
>> tycho=# \q
>
> Works fine for me in REL8_0_STABLE tip ... and it's working fine on all
> the build farm machines too, because this would surely cause all the
> regression tests to fail.  Sure you didn't mistakenly change
> client_min_messages ?

I found the problem ! It's  --with-ssl support I tried in REL8_0_STABLE.
After recompiling REL8_0_STABLE without ssl everything works fine.

I didn't check 8.0.1 release with ssl, but at work I have no problem.

>             regards, tom lane

    Regards,        Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: REL8_0_STABLE and 8.0.1 release client logging difference

From
"Andrew Dunstan"
Date:
Oleg Bartunov said:
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005, Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su> writes:
>>> REL8_0_STABLE:
>>> tycho=# select * from pg_stas where srelnae='tycho';
>>> tycho=# \q
>>
>> Works fine for me in REL8_0_STABLE tip ... and it's working fine on
>> all the build farm machines too, because this would surely cause all
>> the regression tests to fail.  Sure you didn't mistakenly change
>> client_min_messages ?
>
> I found the problem ! It's  --with-ssl support I tried in
> REL8_0_STABLE. After recompiling REL8_0_STABLE without ssl everything
> works fine.
>
> I didn't check 8.0.1 release with ssl, but at work I have no problem.

I take it you mean "--with-openssl". If so, Tom's objection still applies -
see for example
http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=dog&dt=2005-03-12%2017:52:00which is the log of a build of the
REL8_0_STABLEbranch with openssl.

Please tell us more about the platform you are using, if this is still a
problem.

cheers

andrew

Date:
On Sun, 13 Mar 2005, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Oleg Bartunov said:

>>> Works fine for me in REL8_0_STABLE tip ... and it's working fine on
>>> all the build farm machines too, because this would surely cause all
>>> the regression tests to fail.  Sure you didn't mistakenly change
>>> client_min_messages ?
>>
>> I found the problem ! It's  --with-ssl support I tried in
>> REL8_0_STABLE. After recompiling REL8_0_STABLE without ssl everything
>> works fine.
>>
>> I didn't check 8.0.1 release with ssl, but at work I have no problem.
>>

> I take it you mean "--with-openssl". If so, Tom's objection still applies -

sure, "--with-openssl".

> see for example
> http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=dog&dt=2005-03-12%2017:52:00which is the log of a build of the
REL8_0_STABLEbranch with openssl.

> Please tell us more about the platform you are using, if this is still a
> problem.

I solved my problem ! It was  a result of my glibc upgrade and I had to
reinstall openssl libraries and recompile postgresql.