buildfarm issues

From
Andrew Dunstan
Date:
Now that we've been running for a while there are a few buildfarm issues
that I need to address.

First, do we keep the right data about the members? Essentially, we
keep: <operating_system, os_version, compiler, compiler_version,
architecture>. For Linux, we genarlly ask for the
Distribution/distro-version instead of the OS/os-version. However, that
lead to interesting situations - Gentoo for example is so "flexible"
that in version 2004.03 you might easily be using kernel version 2.4.x
or 2.6.x ... in fact it's almost impossible to tell what might be
installed on a Gentoo system, or how it was compiled. So I'm really not
sure how we should treat such systems.

Second is the fact that systems change over time. People upgrade their
machines. I'm considering a facility to allow people to change the
<os-version,compiler-version> aspects of their registered personality -
these will become essentially timestamped pieces of information, so
we'll still be able to tie a set of values to a history item.

Third, what can be done to improve the usefulness of the server / web
site?  I already have the following items on my list of TODOs:
. allow sorting of member list by personality feature (e.g. see all the
OS/X boxes together)
. filter dashboard page to only show certain members (this already works
but you have to construct the list manually, e.g.
http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_status.pl?member=cat&member=dog&member=loris&member=gibbon
)
. an email alerting system for when a system changes state

Fourth, there are some significant gaps in the buildfarm coverage. I am
currently personally supplying the Windows and Cygwin members, but since
that is on my laptop which is frequently required for other work it's
not ideal, and there can be large gaps. Other gaps include HPUX, for
example. If you run a machine that should be covered and can help,
please do. After the initial setup there should be very little work
involved.

Finally, a volunteer or two to help me with both running and
administering this would be great. Knowledhge of perl and Template
Toolkit a decided advantage.

Buildfarm was created to assist the principal hackers - so any and all
(constructive) input is welcome.

cheers

andrew

Re: buildfarm issues

From
Darcy Buskermolen
Date:
On Friday 04 March 2005 10:11, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Now that we've been running for a while there are a few buildfarm issues
> that I need to address.
>
> First, do we keep the right data about the members? Essentially, we
> keep: <operating_system, os_version, compiler, compiler_version,
> architecture>. For Linux, we genarlly ask for the
> Distribution/distro-version instead of the OS/os-version. However, that
> lead to interesting situations - Gentoo for example is so "flexible"
> that in version 2004.03 you might easily be using kernel version 2.4.x
> or 2.6.x ... in fact it's almost impossible to tell what might be
> installed on a Gentoo system, or how it was compiled. So I'm really not
> sure how we should treat such systems.
>
> Second is the fact that systems change over time. People upgrade their
> machines. I'm considering a facility to allow people to change the
> <os-version,compiler-version> aspects of their registered personality -
> these will become essentially timestamped pieces of information, so
> we'll still be able to tie a set of values to a history item.

What about using uname(1), cc -v,  etc to glean this information and post it
with each event logged?  I belive you have all this stuff already in the
config.log that is used already ?

> Third, what can be done to improve the usefulness of the server / web
> site?  I already have the following items on my list of TODOs:
> . allow sorting of member list by personality feature (e.g. see all the
> OS/X boxes together)
> . filter dashboard page to only show certain members (this already works
> but you have to construct the list manually, e.g.
> http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_status.pl?member=cat&member=dog&mem
>ber=loris&member=gibbon )
> . an email alerting system for when a system changes state
>
> Fourth, there are some significant gaps in the buildfarm coverage. I am
> currently personally supplying the Windows and Cygwin members, but since
> that is on my laptop which is frequently required for other work it's
> not ideal, and there can be large gaps. Other gaps include HPUX, for
> example. If you run a machine that should be covered and can help,
> please do. After the initial setup there should be very little work
> involved.

> Finally, a volunteer or two to help me with both running and
> administering this would be great. Knowledhge of perl and Template
> Toolkit a decided advantage.
>
> Buildfarm was created to assist the principal hackers - so any and all
> (constructive) input is welcome.
>
> cheers
>
> andrew

Re: buildfarm issues

From
Andrew Dunstan

Darcy Buskermolen wrote:

>On Friday 04 March 2005 10:11, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>

>>Now that we've been running for a while there are a few buildfarm issues
>>that I need to address.
>>
>>First, do we keep the right data about the members? Essentially, we
>>keep: <operating_system, os_version, compiler, compiler_version,
>>architecture>. For Linux, we genarlly ask for the
>>Distribution/distro-version instead of the OS/os-version. However, that
>>lead to interesting situations - Gentoo for example is so "flexible"
>>that in version 2004.03 you might easily be using kernel version 2.4.x
>>or 2.6.x ... in fact it's almost impossible to tell what might be
>>installed on a Gentoo system, or how it was compiled. So I'm really not
>>sure how we should treat such systems.
>>
>>Second is the fact that systems change over time. People upgrade their
>>machines. I'm considering a facility to allow people to change the
>><os-version,compiler-version> aspects of their registered personality -
>>these will become essentially timestamped pieces of information, so
>>we'll still be able to tie a set of values to a history item.
>>

>What about using uname(1), cc -v,  etc to glean this information and post it
>with each event logged?  I belive you have all this stuff already in the
>config.log that is used already ?

See previous para - on Linux we want the distro name and version, not
"Linux" plus kernel version. uname doesn't seem to help much there.
Also, I have no idea how portable cc -v is. Can we guarantee to have the
compiler version properly identified on every platform?

cheers

andrew

Re: buildfarm issues

From
"Jim Buttafuoco"
Date:
Andrew,

A couple of things,

1. we need to develop a matrix of systems/os/compiler to see what coverage we do have and compare it to the INSTALL
guide.
2. the run_build.pl should be changed to keep the information on the system to date (and have the matrix in 1 change)
3. have the run_build.pl script check the build farm CVS to see if there is a new version of the build farm code and
either download and/or alert the owner of the system

I am able and willing to help out in all of the above.  I am also willing to help fill the gap in systems if needed. I

have been using perl for over 10 years now (since perl 4 days) and have been doing web/postgres coding for the last 6
years.

Let me know what I can do to help

Jim

> >On Friday 04 March 2005 10:11, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> >

> >>Now that we've been running for a while there are a few buildfarm issues
> >>that I need to address.
> >>
> >>First, do we keep the right data about the members? Essentially, we
> >>keep: <operating_system, os_version, compiler, compiler_version,
> >>architecture>. For Linux, we genarlly ask for the
> >>Distribution/distro-version instead of the OS/os-version. However, that
> >>lead to interesting situations - Gentoo for example is so "flexible"
> >>that in version 2004.03 you might easily be using kernel version 2.4.x
> >>or 2.6.x ... in fact it's almost impossible to tell what might be
> >>installed on a Gentoo system, or how it was compiled. So I'm really not
> >>sure how we should treat such systems.
> >>
> >>Second is the fact that systems change over time. People upgrade their
> >>machines. I'm considering a facility to allow people to change the
> >><os-version,compiler-version> aspects of their registered personality -
> >>these will become essentially timestamped pieces of information, so
> >>we'll still be able to tie a set of values to a history item.
> >>

> >What about using uname(1), cc -v,  etc to glean this information and post it
> >with each event logged?  I belive you have all this stuff already in the
> >config.log that is used already ?
> >

> See previous para - on Linux we want the distro name and version, not
> "Linux" plus kernel version. uname doesn't seem to help much there.
> Also, I have no idea how portable cc -v is. Can we guarantee to have the
> compiler version properly identified on every platform?
>
> cheers
>
> andrew

------- End of Original Message -------

Re: buildfarm issues

Date:
> Also, I have no idea how portable cc -v is.

Not at all.
        regards, tom lane

Re: buildfarm issues

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Andrew,

> or 2.6.x ... in fact it's almost impossible to tell what might be
> installed on a Gentoo system, or how it was compiled. So I'm really not
> sure how we should treat such systems.

Distribution, General OS, Kernel Version, Other Info
e.g.
SuSE        Linux        2.6.8-7    64-Bit
MS        Windows    XP        SP2

Also, I think you should be recording the compile-time switches used on each
machine and indexing them indivdually.   I'd hate to find out that, for
example, we'd broken --with-odbc and didn't know it because nobody in the
buildfarm was using it.

> Second is the fact that systems change over time. People upgrade their
> machines. I'm considering a facility to allow people to change the
> <os-version,compiler-version> aspects of their registered personality -
> these will become essentially timestamped pieces of information, so
> we'll still be able to tie a set of values to a history item.

Yes ... actually, a quick (and automated) reminder e-mail once a month
wouldn't hurt.   And this machine registration info could be kept as a config
file in the Buildfarm directory, for ease of update, and sent in with the
buildfarm results.

> Fourth, there are some significant gaps in the buildfarm coverage. I am

I've a few responses from the PWN, such as a YDL machine on PPC4.  I'll be
passing these people along this week.

> Finally, a volunteer or two to help me with both running and
> administering this would be great. Knowledhge of perl and Template
> Toolkit a decided advantage.

I can help with the people end of things, but my web skills suck.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: buildfarm issues

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 21:12:03 -0800, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> Also, I think you should be recording the compile-time switches used on each
> machine and indexing them indivdually.   I'd hate to find out that, for
> example, we'd broken --with-odbc and didn't know it because nobody in the
> buildfarm was using it.

Another significant example is --enable-integer-datetimes.