unicode upper/lower functions

From
John Hansen
Date:
Hi list,

Attached for your perusal, unicode versions of upper/lower, that work
independent of locale except for the following languages:

Turkish, Azeri, and Lithuanian.
There are 15 locale specific cases in total not covered.

--
John Hansen <john@geeknet.com.au>
GeekNET

Attachment

Re: unicode upper/lower functions

From
John Hansen
Date:
uhmm,...

Forgot to change the copyright.

Please accept this under the same terms as postgresql itself.

... John

Re: unicode upper/lower functions

Date:
http://momjian.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/pgpatches2

John Hansen wrote:
> Hi list,
>

> Attached for your perusal, unicode versions of upper/lower, that work
> independent of locale except for the following languages:
>
> Turkish, Azeri, and Lithuanian.
> There are 15 locale specific cases in total not covered.
>

> --
> John Hansen <john@geeknet.com.au>
> GeekNET

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

Pennsylvania19073

Re: unicode upper/lower functions

Date:
I think we have decided to use the ICU library to implement multiple locales.

John Hansen wrote:
> Hi list,
>

> Attached for your perusal, unicode versions of upper/lower, that work
> independent of locale except for the following languages:
>
> Turkish, Azeri, and Lithuanian.
> There are 15 locale specific cases in total not covered.
>

> --
> John Hansen <john@geeknet.com.au>
> GeekNET

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

Pennsylvania19073

Re: unicode upper/lower functions

From
"John Hansen"
Date:
Yes,

Thank you! :)

.. John

Date:
... Except,.. It was never decided if the 'C' locale optimisations was
going to be removed if/when implementing ICU.

Tho I think the  conclusion was a postgresql.conf parameter to
enable/disable the optimisations.
Either way, this code is now obsolete.

... John

Date:
John Hansen wrote:
> ... Except,.. It was never decided if the 'C' locale optimisations was
> going to be removed if/when implementing ICU.

Uh, why would we remove it?  Oh, meaning if the locale is C we bypass
locale lookups?  I think we will have to see what performance we have
with things.

> Tho I think the  conclusion was a postgresql.conf parameter to
> enable/disable the optimisations.
> Either way, this code is now obsolete.

Thanks.

Pennsylvania19073

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> John Hansen wrote:
> > ... Except,.. It was never decided if the 'C' locale
> optimisations was
> > going to be removed if/when implementing ICU.
>
> Uh, why would we remove it?  Oh, meaning if the locale is C
> we bypass locale lookups?  I think we will have to see what
> performance we have with things.

Uhh, not quite: If locale is 'C' the current assumption is 7-bit ASCII
for upper/lower/initcap.
ICU is capable of properky doing upper/lower/initcap except for the
cases described in this (obsolete) patch.