spi and other languages

From
Sibtay Abbas
Date:
i guess the answer to my previous question was spi...i
ve got another question, can we call pgsql or plpgsql
functions using spi?

like can we do something like

SPI_execute("CREATE FUNCTION blah() RETURNS Integer
....."....

http://my.yahoo.com

Re: spi and other languages

From
Michael Fuhr
Date:
On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 11:05:28PM -0800, Sibtay Abbas wrote:

> i guess the answer to my previous question was spi...i
> ve got another question, can we call pgsql or plpgsql
> functions using spi?
>
> like can we do something like
>
> SPI_execute("CREATE FUNCTION blah() RETURNS Integer
> ....."....

What happened when you tried it?  Are you trying to call a function
or create one?

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

Re: spi and other languages

From
Sibtay Abbas
Date:
i am still in my R&D phase so i ve not yet tried it.
actually i chose the wrong example.

We can call SQL statements like SPI_Execute("SELECT *
FROM sometable") from the spi interface. My question
is that can we enter other procedural languages as
well, like pgplsql statements.

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

Re: spi and other languages

From
Doug McNaught
Date:
Sibtay Abbas <sibtay_abbas@yahoo.com> writes:

> We can call SQL statements like SPI_Execute("SELECT *
> FROM sometable") from the spi interface. My question
> is that can we enter other procedural languages as
> well, like pgplsql statements.

You can call a function written in another procedural langauge by
executing a SELECT:

SPI_Execute("SELECT myfunction()")

But you can't execute arbitrary code in other langauges using SPI (of
from the client side, for that matter)--it has to be wrapped up in a
function.

-Doug