Opinions on Usenet ...

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
If there were a comp.databases.postgresql.hackers newsgroup created and
carried by all the news servers ... would you move to using it vs using
the mailing lists?

The USENET community seems to think that there would be a mass exodus from
the lists to usenet ... based on past discussions concerning moving some
stuff out of email to stuff like bug trackers, I don't believe this to be
the case, but am curious what the opinion of other developers happens to
be ... would a USENET group actually be preferrable?

----

Re: Opinions on Usenet ...

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> If there were a comp.databases.postgresql.hackers newsgroup created and
> carried by all the news servers ... would you move to using it vs using
> the mailing lists?

Heck no. I have no desire to use USENET.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> The USENET community seems to think that there would be a mass exodus
> from the lists to usenet ... based on past discussions concerning moving
> some stuff out of email to stuff like bug trackers, I don't believe this
> to be the case, but am curious what the opinion of other developers
> happens to be ... would a USENET group actually be preferrable?
>
> ----
> Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

Command Prompt, Inc., home of PostgreSQL Replication, and plPHP.

Re: Opinions on Usenet ...

Date:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> If there were a comp.databases.postgresql.hackers newsgroup created and
> carried by all the news servers ... would you move to using it vs using
> the mailing lists?

No.  I abandoned Usenet years ago.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Opinions on Usenet ...

From
Gaetano Mendola
Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> If there were a comp.databases.postgresql.hackers newsgroup created and
> carried by all the news servers ... would you move to using it vs using
> the mailing lists?

No.

Regards
Gaetano Mendola

Re: Opinions on Usenet ...

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, Rod Taylor wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 15:03 -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> If there were a comp.databases.postgresql.hackers newsgroup created and
>> carried by all the news servers ... would you move to using it vs using
>> the mailing lists?
>
> Is there a reliable, fast, public news server out there which would
> carry it at reasonable speed (my ISP updates their groups nightly --
> completely useless).

news.postgresql.org?

----

Re: Opinions on Usenet ...

From
Rod Taylor
Date:
> > Is there a reliable, fast, public news server out there which would
> > carry it at reasonable speed (my ISP updates their groups nightly --
> > completely useless).
>
> news.postgresql.org?

Didn't know that existed...

Re: Opinions on Usenet ...

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, Rod Taylor wrote:

>>> Is there a reliable, fast, public news server out there which would
>>> carry it at reasonable speed (my ISP updates their groups nightly --
>>> completely useless).
>>
>> news.postgresql.org?
>
> Didn't know that existed...

Ack ... its never been 'hidden', but its also never been fully advertised
either ...

I'm tempted to write a 'monthly FAQ' that gets posted that talks about the
usenet gateway, as well as how to do such seemingly simple things like
"how to unsubscribe to the lists" ...

----

Re: Opinions on Usenet ...

From
"Gevik Babakhani"
Date:
I was wondering if there is a better solution than mailing lists.
My experience is that mailing lists are somewat combersome to use.
Especially when your postings do not arrive!

If there were a comp.databases.postgresql.hackers newsgroup created and
carried by all the news servers ... would you move to using it vs using the
mailing lists?

The USENET community seems to think that there would be a mass exodus from
the lists to usenet ... based on past discussions concerning moving some
stuff out of email to stuff like bug trackers, I don't believe this to be
the case, but am curious what the opinion of other developers happens to be
... would a USENET group actually be preferrable?

----

Re: Opinions on Usenet ...

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

>> Didn't know that existed...
>

> Ack ... its never been 'hidden', but its also never been fully
> advertised either ...

To be fair, I didn't know it existed until the whole usenet thing popped
up either.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Date:
On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, Gevik Babakhani wrote:

> I was wondering if there is a better solution than mailing lists.
> My experience is that mailing lists are somewat combersome to use.
> Especially when your postings do not arrive!

When they don't arrive? *raised eyebrow*  You having a problem? :(

I don't know about everyone else, but my personal preference for mailing
lists is due to the lack of spam that gets to them, something that you
can't really do easily on Usenet ...

----

Re: Opinions on Usenet ...

From
Greg Stark
Date:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:

> If there were a comp.databases.postgresql.hackers newsgroup created and
> carried by all the news servers ... would you move to using it vs using the
> mailing lists?
>
> The USENET community seems to think that there would be a mass exodus from the
> lists to usenet ...

They're nuts. The only "exodus" would be in the form of people posting one-off
questions not bothering to subscribe before posting.

It seems to me that the news interface is useful if it's a list you don't read
regularly. You just check periodically to see if there's anything on a
particular topic (like to see how a new release is faring before upgrading) or
to post the occasional support question without wanting to be subscribed all
the time.

On that basis it seems to me the only list that makes sense to gateway to
USENET is pgsql-general. That's the outward-facing list for people to ask
support one-off questions on. The rest of the lists should really be mailing
lists for ongoing internal discussion.

The news.postgresql.org interface should satisfy people who want the
news-style user interface but with the serious-subscribers-only type of
environment.

--
greg

Re: Opinions on Usenet ...

From
"Gevik Babakhani"
Date:
Maybe it is me but, I am trying to send a posting regarding a solution
proposal for a TODO item.
My posting has a .tgz attachment but it seems that it never arives at
hackers list!
This is very frustrating. I even ask Bruce for help.

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, Gevik Babakhani wrote:

> I was wondering if there is a better solution than mailing lists.
> My experience is that mailing lists are somewat combersome to use.
> Especially when your postings do not arrive!

When they don't arrive? *raised eyebrow*  You having a problem? :(

I don't know about everyone else, but my personal preference for mailing
lists is due to the lack of spam that gets to them, something that you can't
really do easily on Usenet ...

----

              http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: Opinions on Usenet ...

From
Joe Conway
Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> The USENET community seems to think that there would be a mass exodus
> from the lists to usenet ... based on past discussions concerning moving
> some stuff out of email to stuff like bug trackers, I don't believe this
> to be the case, but am curious what the opinion of other developers
> happens to be ... would a USENET group actually be preferrable?

No, not for me.

Joe

Re: Opinions on Usenet ...

From
Devrim GUNDUZ
Date:

Re: Opinions on Usenet ...

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> If there were a comp.databases.postgresql.hackers newsgroup created
> and carried by all the news servers ... would you move to using it vs
> using the mailing lists?

No.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Opinions on Usenet ...

From
Neil Conway
Date:
On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 15:03 -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> If there were a comp.databases.postgresql.hackers newsgroup created and
> carried by all the news servers ... would you move to using it vs using
> the mailing lists?

No.

-Neil

Re: Opinions on Usenet ...

From
Gavin Sherry
Date:
On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> If there were a comp.databases.postgresql.hackers newsgroup created and
> carried by all the news servers ... would you move to using it vs using
> the mailing lists?
>
> The USENET community seems to think that there would be a mass exodus from
> the lists to usenet ... based on past discussions concerning moving some
> stuff out of email to stuff like bug trackers, I don't believe this to be
> the case, but am curious what the opinion of other developers happens to
> be ... would a USENET group actually be preferrable?

No.

Gavin

Re: Opinions on Usenet ...

From
Marc@pyrenet.fr, G.Fournier@pyrenet.fr, From@pyrenet.fr:
Date:
gevik@xs4all.nl ("Gevik Babakhani") writes:

>Maybe it is me but, I am trying to send a posting regarding a solution
>proposal for a TODO item.
>My posting has a .tgz attachment but it seems that it never arives at
>hackers list!
>This is very frustrating. I even ask Bruce for help.

how big is the message? *raised eyebrow*   depending on size, it might get
caught up in the queue to be approved ... the only other possibility is that
the anti-virus or anti-spam checkers are picking it up ...

what i'd recommend is putting it up on a URL and posting the URL so that ppl
can download it ...

Re: Opinions on Usenet ...

Date:
Gavin Sherry wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>

> > If there were a comp.databases.postgresql.hackers newsgroup created and
> > carried by all the news servers ... would you move to using it vs using
> > the mailing lists?
> >
> > The USENET community seems to think that there would be a mass exodus from
> > the lists to usenet ... based on past discussions concerning moving some
> > stuff out of email to stuff like bug trackers, I don't believe this to be
> > the case, but am curious what the opinion of other developers happens to
> > be ... would a USENET group actually be preferrable?
>
> No.

Yes ... well, actually ... no.  I just wanted to be different.  :-)

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Opinions on Usenet ...

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Gavin Sherry wrote:
>> On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>

>>> If there were a comp.databases.postgresql.hackers newsgroup created and
>>> carried by all the news servers ... would you move to using it vs using
>>> the mailing lists?
>>>
>>> The USENET community seems to think that there would be a mass exodus from
>>> the lists to usenet ... based on past discussions concerning moving some
>>> stuff out of email to stuff like bug trackers, I don't believe this to be
>>> the case, but am curious what the opinion of other developers happens to
>>> be ... would a USENET group actually be preferrable?
>>
>> No.
>
> Yes ... well, actually ... no.  I just wanted to be different.  :-)

You watched "Night at the Roxbury" last night, didn't you? :)

----

Re: Opinions on Usenet ...

From
Rod Taylor
Date:
On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 15:03 -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> If there were a comp.databases.postgresql.hackers newsgroup created and
> carried by all the news servers ... would you move to using it vs using
> the mailing lists?

Is there a reliable, fast, public news server out there which would
carry it at reasonable speed (my ISP updates their groups nightly --
completely useless).

--
Rod Taylor <rbt@sitesell.com>

Re: Opinions on Usenet ...

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Re: Opinions on Usenet ...

From
jseymour@linxnet.com (Jim Seymour)
Date:
Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:

> Gavin Sherry wrote:
> > On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> >

> > > If there were a comp.databases.postgresql.hackers newsgroup created and
> > > carried by all the news servers ... would you move to using it vs using
> > > the mailing lists?
> > >
> > > The USENET community seems to think that there would be a mass exodus from
> > > the lists to usenet ... based on past discussions concerning moving some
> > > stuff out of email to stuff like bug trackers, I don't believe this to be
> > > the case, but am curious what the opinion of other developers happens to
> > > be ... would a USENET group actually be preferrable?
> >
> > No.
>
> Yes ... well, actually ... no.  I just wanted to be different.  :-)

Personally, I'd frequent whichever venue had the most utility.  That
being said: I much prefer the Usenet mechanism over either mailing
lists or web-based bulletin-boards for non-real-time group
discussions.

Jim

Re: Opinions on Usenet ...

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> If there were a comp.databases.postgresql.hackers newsgroup created and
> carried by all the news servers ... would you move to using it vs using
> the mailing lists?

No.  (yes, I'm still here :)

Vince.
-- Fast, inexpensive internet service 56k and beyond!  http://www.pop4.net/  http://www.meanstreamradio.com
http://www.unknown-artists.com        Online radio: It's not file sharing, it's just radio.

Re: Opinions on Usenet ...

From
Rupa Schomaker

On 11/29/2004 11:03 AM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> The USENET community seems to think that there would be a mass exodus
> from the lists to usenet ... based on past discussions concerning moving
> some stuff out of email to stuff like bug trackers, I don't believe this
> to be the case, but am curious what the opinion of other developers
> happens to be ... would a USENET group actually be preferrable?

I simply gate the maillist traffic in to sn (small news server) and use
that.  Not sure I wan't to rely on my warez/dvd repository for real
information...

But that is just me :)

-- -Rupa

Re: Opinions on Usenet ...

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> If there were a comp.databases.postgresql.hackers newsgroup created and
> carried by all the news servers ... would you move to using it vs using
> the mailing lists?

Trying this again with the right From address...

No.  (and yes, I'm still here :)

Vince.
-- Fast, inexpensive internet service 56k and beyond!  http://www.pop4.net/  http://www.meanstreamradio.com
http://www.unknown-artists.com        Online radio: It's not file sharing, it's just radio.

Re: Opinions on Usenet ...

From
Jan Wieck
Date:
On 11/29/2004 2:03 PM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> If there were a comp.databases.postgresql.hackers newsgroup created and
> carried by all the news servers ... would you move to using it vs using
> the mailing lists?

Certainly not.

Jan