SET SESSION SESSION AUTHORIZATION

From
Dennis Bjorklund
Date:
Is it just me or is this syntax very ugly?
 SET [ SESSION | LOCAL ] SESSION AUTHORIZATION username SET [ SESSION | LOCAL ] SESSION AUTHORIZATION DEFAULT

so the parser accepts
 SET SESSION SESSION AUTHORIZATION DEFAULT;

I know the SESSION/LOCAL part should be the same as the other SET
commands, but still. It hurt my eyes...

The standard command is SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION and affects the session.
Couldn't we then have this syntax instead
 SET [ SESSION | LOCAL ] AUTHORIZATION username SET [ SESSION | LOCAL ] AUTHORIZATION DEFAULT

so one can do either
 SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION DEFAULT;

or
 SET LOCAL AUTHORIZATION DEFAULT;

--
/Dennis Björklund

Re: SET SESSION SESSION AUTHORIZATION

Date:
Dennis Bjorklund <db@zigo.dhs.org> writes:
> Couldn't we then have this syntax instead

>   SET [ SESSION | LOCAL ] AUTHORIZATION username
>   SET [ SESSION | LOCAL ] AUTHORIZATION DEFAULT

I don't think the (alleged) gain in prettiness is worth introducing
backwards incompatibility for.  Two major releases ago, we could have
considered it...
        regards, tom lane

Date:
On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

> backwards incompatibility for.  Two major releases ago, we could have
> considered it...

Of course you shouldn't break backward compability over it. I thought it
was new stuff in 8.0 hence my comment.

--
/Dennis Björklund