Reading from a text file into PostgreSQL

From
Eyinagho Newton

Hiya Everyone,

Can anyone explain how postgreSQL reads from a text
file into tables already created in PostgreSQL?

I am also checking the thread in the Forum just to see
if someone has written about it in the past.

Thanks.

Newton

http://vote.yahoo.com

Re: Reading from a text file into PostgreSQL

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:

Please direct general usage questions to <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>.

> I am also checking the thread in the Forum just to see
> if someone has written about it in the past.

Please do that before posting.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Reading from a text file into PostgreSQL

From
Chester Kustarz
Date:
On Thu, 7 Oct 2004, Eyinagho Newton wrote:
> Can anyone explain how postgreSQL reads from a text
> file into tables already created in PostgreSQL?

Check out COPY command.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/sql-copy.html

The file has to be in a certain format as explained in the
documentaion. It is fast and simple.