Get rid of Money

From
Dennis Bjorklund
Date:
Wouldn't pg 8.0 be a good release to get rid of the type Money?

Maybe there is also other deprecated things that are suitable to get rid
of in a .0 release.

--
/Dennis Björklund

Re: Get rid of Money

Date:
Dennis Bjorklund <db@zigo.dhs.org> writes:
> Wouldn't pg 8.0 be a good release to get rid of the type Money?

No.

(1) there is not actually consensus to get rid of it.

(2) we are already long past the point where we will force initdb
for noncritical problems.  The right time to propose this would
have been before beta started.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Get rid of Money

From
Dennis Bjorklund
Date:
On Sun, 26 Sep 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

> > Wouldn't pg 8.0 be a good release to get rid of the type Money?
>
> (1) there is not actually consensus to get rid of it.

The doc seems to be clear about it.

What does it provide that numeric doesn't? The only extra thing I know is
a currency symbol that is broken in a lot of locales.

Also, people (you?) have been talking about money being buggy, having
round off problems. I don't know any details about that.

> (2) we are already long past the point where we will force initdb
> for noncritical problems.

Clear for 8.0.

--
/Dennis Björklund

Re: Get rid of Money

Date:
Dennis Bjorklund <db@zigo.dhs.org> writes:
> On Sun, 26 Sep 2004, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> Wouldn't pg 8.0 be a good release to get rid of the type Money?
>>
>> (1) there is not actually consensus to get rid of it.

> The doc seems to be clear about it.

There is consensus that the current implementation is not good enough.
That doesn't mean that everyone has bought into removing it (as opposed
to rewriting it).  There was a thread about this just a week or two ago,
and IIRC we had at least one developer interested in attempting a
rewrite for 8.1.
        regards, tom lane