FW: postgres shmat request fails on win98 (cygwin)

From
Mike G
Date:
Hello,

I will bring it up with the postgresql hackers.

PS - Sorry for the new posting.  I read these via digest.
Mike       * From: Jason Tishler <jason at tishler dot net>   * To: cygwin at cygwin dot com   * Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2004
11:07:56-0400   * Subject: Re: Initdb FATAL error shmat - Win98 Cygwin 1.5.10-3 - PostgreSQL 7.4.3   * References:
<20040803133058.GS31522@cygbert.vinschen.de>

Corinna,

I apologize for the delay, but I was on vacation...

On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 03:30:58PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> I tried it and it actually only happens on 9x.  I found that postgres
> tries to shmat to an address which I have no idea about where it comes
> from.  The problem with that address is, that it's neither a multiple
> of SHMLBA, nor does postgres call shmat with the SHM_RND flag.  For
> some reason the address is ok on NT.
>
> So, Jason, do you have an idea why that happens?

No.

> Two questions come to mind:
>
> - How does postgres evaluate that address

I don't know.

> and why does it only fail on 9x?

Ditto.

> - Why does postgres use a fixed address at all, instead of using NULL
>   to let the system decide which address to use?

Ditto.

I do not have access to Windows 9x and (unfortunately) have not used
PostgreSQL seriously for 3 years now, so I'm not particularly motivated
to work on this problem.

Sorry,
Jason

Re: FW: postgres shmat request fails on win98 (cygwin)

From
Doug McNaught
Date:
Mike G <mike@thegodshalls.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I will bring it up with the postgresql hackers.
>
> PS - Sorry for the new posting.  I read these via digest.

Neither the Cygwin nor the (beta) Windows-native version of Postgresql
is supported in any way on Windows 9x/ME AFIAK.  Anyone trying to run
it there is strictly on their own.

-Doug
--
Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees.  --T. J. Jackson, 1863

Re: FW: postgres shmat request fails on win98 (cygwin)

From
mike g
Date:
According to the docs, even the 8.0 developer docs
(http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/install-win32.html),

"Tip:  If you are using Windows 98 or newer you can build and use all of
PostgreSQL "the Unix way" if you install the Cygwin toolkit first. In
that case see Chapter 14."

I don't see any mention of XP, whether the Pro or Home version, will be
supported in version 8 at the moment either.

Mike