shared buffer hash table corrupted

From
Adrian Maier
Date:
Hello,

On the production server I have PostgreSql 7.4.3 ,  on Mandrake Linux 9.2.
In the message log on 29 july I have received several "shared buffer
hash table
corrupted"  errors .
What could cause this error ?   (bad RAM maybe?)

Best wishes,
Adrian Maier

Re: shared buffer hash table corrupted

From
Gavin Sherry
Date:
On Mon, 2 Aug 2004, Adrian Maier wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On the production server I have PostgreSql 7.4.3 ,  on Mandrake Linux 9.2.
> In the message log on 29 july I have received several "shared buffer
> hash table
> corrupted"  errors .
> What could cause this error ?   (bad RAM maybe?)

Consider running memtest86 for 24 hours. If you have the option, try new
CPUs or motherboard.

Gavin

> Best wishes,
> Adrian Maier

> !DSPAM:410ddc97257021200676010!

Re: shared buffer hash table corrupted

From
"Scott Marlowe"
Date:
On Mon, 2004-08-02 at 00:09, Adrian Maier wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On the production server I have PostgreSql 7.4.3 ,  on Mandrake Linux 9.2.
> In the message log on 29 july I have received several "shared buffer
> hash table
> corrupted"  errors .
> What could cause this error ?   (bad RAM maybe?)

Most likely, although a bad CPU or cache can cause the same problems
too.  Most of the time it's RAM, as a bad CPU is generally much more
likely to make the machine just crash all the time, not just have
smaller issues like this.