extra info on autovaccum log

From
Gaetano Mendola
Date:
Hi all,
till today I was running in production one only
db so the autovacuum log was fine. Since today
I have two db but looking at the following line:

Performing: VACUUM ANALYZE "public"."current_connection"

I don't have idea about the database involved, I suggest:

Performing: VACUUM ANALYZE "dbame"."public"."current_connection"

or

Performing: VACUUM ANALYZE "public"."current_connection"@"dbname"

I know that I will know the database on the very next line, but sometimes
is too late :-(

Regards
Gaetano Mendola

Re: extra info on autovaccum log

From
"Matthew T. O'Connor"
Date:
Gaetano Mendola wrote:

> I don't have idea about the database involved, I suggest:
>

> Performing: VACUUM ANALYZE "dbame"."public"."current_connection"
>
> or
>
> Performing: VACUUM ANALYZE "public"."current_connection"@"dbname"
>

> I know that I will know the database on the very next line, but sometimes
> is too late :-(

I have thought about this before.  I didn't do it since as you say, you
can figure it out from looking at later log lines, but also that the log
line entries are already very long and will only get longer with the
extra info.

BTW, I believe this will be moot in 7.5 since autovacuum will be
integrated into the backend and uses elog calls, so you can format the
log entries using GUC variables.

Matthew

Date:
Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:

> Gaetano Mendola wrote:
>
>> I don't have idea about the database involved, I suggest:
>>

>> Performing: VACUUM ANALYZE "dbame"."public"."current_connection"
>>
>> or
>>
>> Performing: VACUUM ANALYZE "public"."current_connection"@"dbname"
>>

>> I know that I will know the database on the very next line, but sometimes
>> is too late :-(
>

> I have thought about this before.  I didn't do it since as you say, you
> can figure it out from looking at later log lines, but also that the log
> line entries are already very long and will only get longer with the
> extra info.
>
> BTW, I believe this will be moot in 7.5 since autovacuum will be
> integrated into the backend and uses elog calls, so you can format the
> log entries using GUC variables.

Well but a default line will be in the postgresql.conf, you'll insert the
dbname in the default one ?

Date:
Gaetano Mendola wrote:

> Well but a default line will be in the postgresql.conf, you'll insert the
> dbname in the default one ?

That is an option.  I'm not sure I should clutter the log file with the
database name for every log entry, but then again, autovacuum does work
on the system tables and it will be confusing which system table was
vacuumed.

Thoughts anyone?

Matthew