working on support triggers on columns

From
"Mark Wu"
Date:
style="margin-bottom:12.0pt;layout-grid-mode:char"><fontface="Times New Roman" size="2"><span lang="EN-US"
style="font-size:10.5pt">I'mcurrently working on a master student research project “support triggers on columns” that
issupervised by a professor from my university (Ottawa U).  I have contacted Neil Conway whose name is with this item
onthe TODO list. It happened that he actually lives very close to me(Queen's U in Kingston). He has agreed that I work
TRIGGERto support the optional column list for this feature,<br /> - change CreateTrigStmt, trigger, trigdesc node to
addsupport for an optional List of columns; change the various Node  support functions (equalfuncs.c, copyfuncs.c,
etc.)<br/> - change InsertTrigger, (Copy+Free+ equal)TriggerDesc, Relationbuild function to add support an optional
Listof columns.<br /> - change the pg_trigger system catalog to support the new column .<br /> - change CreateTrigger()
toperform some semantic analysis on the list of columns (ensure no column names are duplicated,  ensure each name
referencesan extent and non-dropped column, and so forth)<br /> - when deciding which triggers to invoke (executePlan()
inexecMain.c), add logic to compare the list of columns in the  to-be-executed command with the list of columns in any
applicablecolumns,and only fire a trigger of the column lists  that are appropriately compatible<br /> -investigate the
face="TimesNew Roman" size="2"><span lang="EN-US" style="font-size:10.5pt">I have spent the past four months on this
andI have finished the YYpaser, Catalog, trigger creation and some other support functions, I am working on trigger
executionright now. I expect the project will be completed by the end of July. I would like to know your comments on my
class="MsoNormal"><fontface="Arial" size="1"><span lang="EN-US" style="font-size:

Re: working on support triggers on columns

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 07:38:19PM -0400, Mark Wu wrote:

> I have spent the past four months on this and I have finished the YYpaser,
> Catalog, trigger creation and some other support functions, I am working on
> trigger execution right now. I expect the project will be completed by the
> end of July. I would like to know your comments on my design and the
> procedure of getting my work accepted.

You could submit a patch to the pgsql-patches list so we can see what
you have actually done.  Since you already have a patch, this may be the
best course of action.

FOO MANE PADME HUM

Re: working on support triggers on columns

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date: