Cannot initdb in cvs tip

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
I'm getting the following error when trying to initdb with CVS tip. This
is on win XP, though I don't know if it's win32 specific. Also of note,
although it says it's clearing the contents of the directory, in actual
fact it leaves the directory structure in place, thus a subsequent
initdb will not run without a manual clearup.

Regards, Dave.

$ initdb
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
"dpage".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale English_United
Kingdom.1252                    .

fixing permissions on existing directory C:/msys/1.0/local/pgsql/data
... ok
creating directory C:/msys/1.0/local/pgsql/data/global ... ok
creating directory C:/msys/1.0/local/pgsql/data/pg_xlog ... ok
creating directory C:/msys/1.0/local/pgsql/data/pg_clog ... ok
creating directory C:/msys/1.0/local/pgsql/data/base ... ok
creating directory C:/msys/1.0/local/pgsql/data/base/1 ... ok
creating directory C:/msys/1.0/local/pgsql/data/pg_tablespaces ... ok
selecting default max_connections ... 100
selecting default shared_buffers ... 1000
creating configuration files ... ok
creating template1 database in C:/msys/1.0/local/pgsql/data/base/1 ...
ERROR:  could not open segment 1 of relation 1663/1/1255 (target block
26189776): No such file or directory
Deleted file - C:\msys\1.0\local\pgsql\data\pg_hba.conf
Deleted file - C:\msys\1.0\local\pgsql\data\pg_ident.conf
Deleted file - C:\msys\1.0\local\pgsql\data\PG_VERSION
Deleted file - C:\msys\1.0\local\pgsql\data\postgresql.conf
Deleted file - C:\msys\1.0\local\pgsql\data\base\1\1255
Deleted file - C:\msys\1.0\local\pgsql\data\global\pg_control
Deleted file - C:\msys\1.0\local\pgsql\data\pg_clog\0000
Deleted file - C:\msys\1.0\local\pgsql\data\pg_xlog\0000000000000000
child process was terminated by signal 1
initdb.exe: failed
initdb.exe: removing contents of data directory
"C:/msys/1.0/local/pgsql/data"
$

Re: Cannot initdb in cvs tip

Date:
"Dave Page" <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk> writes:
> I'm getting the following error when trying to initdb with CVS tip.

> creating template1 database in C:/msys/1.0/local/pgsql/data/base/1 ...
> ERROR:  could not open segment 1 of relation 1663/1/1255 (target block
> 26189776): No such file or directory

The target block number is obviously broken :-(.  But maybe you have
a build consistency problem --- did you try a make distclean and full
rebuild?

> although it says it's clearing the contents of the directory, in actual
> fact it leaves the directory structure in place, thus a subsequent
> initdb will not run without a manual clearup.

Hm.  The rmtree() function in initdb.c is responsible for this, and
I see it has WIN32-specific behavior, which is evidently wrong.
Can you recommend a fix?
        regards, tom lane

Re: Cannot initdb in cvs tip

From
"Andrew Dunstan"
Tom Lane said:
> "Dave Page" <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk> writes:
>> I'm getting the following error when trying to initdb with CVS tip.
>
>> creating template1 database in C:/msys/1.0/local/pgsql/data/base/1 ...
>> ERROR:  could not open segment 1 of relation 1663/1/1255 (target block
>> 26189776): No such file or directory
>
> The target block number is obviously broken :-(.  But maybe you have a
> build consistency problem --- did you try a make distclean and full
> rebuild?
>
>> although it says it's clearing the contents of the directory, in
>> actual fact it leaves the directory structure in place, thus a
>> subsequent initdb will not run without a manual clearup.
>
> Hm.  The rmtree() function in initdb.c is responsible for this, and I
> see it has WIN32-specific behavior, which is evidently wrong.
> Can you recommend a fix?

You can use the builtin one I wrote originally (and tested quite a bit)
that doesn't depend on system() calls ;-)

cheers

andrew

Re: Cannot initdb in cvs tip

From
"Dave Page"

No, I was having trouble keeping my eyes open by then. I'll give it a go tonight.

> Hm.  The rmtree() function in initdb.c is responsible for this, and
> I see it has WIN32-specific behavior, which is evidently wrong.
> Can you recommend a fix?

I'll take a look at this.

Regards, Dave

Re: Cannot initdb in cvs tip

From
"Dave Page"

OK, that cured that one - thanks.

> > although it says it's clearing the contents of the directory, in
> > actual fact it leaves the directory structure in place, thus a
> > subsequent initdb will not run without a manual clearup.
>
> Hm.  The rmtree() function in initdb.c is responsible for
> this, and I see it has WIN32-specific behavior, which is
> evidently wrong.
> Can you recommend a fix?

The current solution does an "rmdir /q /s $PGDATA" if the datadir was
created, and "del /q /s $PGDATA" if the directory already existed. The
second case  will not work, as del will not remove directories. AFAICS,
there is no easy way to do this using system() as rmdir won't accept
wildcards, so we can't do "del $PGDATA/* && rmdir $PGDATA/*".

It seems to me that the simple answer is to put Andrew's recursive
unlink code back in (as he suggested), which Bruce removed as rm etc.
were being used in commands/dbcommands.c (which should work fine under
Windows). Patch below....

Regards, Dave

*** initdb.c.orig    Sat Jun 19 22:15:28 2004
--- initdb.c    Sat Jun 19 23:02:10 2004
***************
*** 132,137 ****
--- 132,144 ----
  static void *xmalloc(size_t size);
  static char *xstrdup(const char *s);
  static bool rmtree(char *path, bool rmtopdir);
+
+ #ifdef WIN32
+ static int  init_unlink(const char *);
+ #else
+ #define init_unlink(x) unlink( (x) )
+ #endif   /* WIN32 */
+
  static char **replace_token(char **lines, char *token, char
*replacement);
  static char **readfile(char *path);
  static void writefile(char *path, char **lines);
***************
*** 245,264 ****
  static bool
  rmtree(char *path, bool rmtopdir)
  {
!     char        buf[MAXPGPATH + 64];

! #ifndef WIN32
!     /* doesn't handle .* files, but we don't make any... */
!     snprintf(buf, sizeof(buf), "rm -rf \"%s\"%s", path,
!              rmtopdir ? "" : "/*");
! #else
!     snprintf(buf, sizeof(buf), "%s /s /q \"%s\"",
!              rmtopdir ? "rmdir" : "del", path);
! #endif

!     return !system(buf);
  }

  /*
   * make a copy of the array of lines, with token replaced by
replacement
--- 252,349 ----
  static bool
  rmtree(char *path, bool rmtopdir)
  {
!     char        filepath[MAXPGPATH];
!     DIR           *dir;
!     struct dirent *file;
!     char      **filenames;
!     char      **filename;
!     int            numnames = 0;
!     struct stat statbuf;

!     /*
!      * we copy all the names out of the directory before we start
modifying
!      * it.
!      *
!      */
!
!     dir = opendir(path);
!     if (dir == NULL)
!         return false;

!     while ((file = readdir(dir)) != NULL)
!     {
!         if (strcmp(file->d_name, ".") != 0 &&
strcmp(file->d_name, "..") != 0)
!             numnames++;
!     }
!
!     rewinddir(dir);
!
!     filenames = xmalloc((numnames + 2) * sizeof(char *));
!     numnames = 0;
!
!     while ((file = readdir(dir)) != NULL)
!     {
!         if (strcmp(file->d_name, ".") != 0 &&
strcmp(file->d_name, "..") != 0)
!             filenames[numnames++] = xstrdup(file->d_name);
!     }
!
!     filenames[numnames] = NULL;
!
!     closedir(dir);
!
!     /* now we have the names we can start removing things */
!
!     for (filename = filenames; *filename; filename++)
!     {
!         snprintf(filepath, MAXPGPATH, "%s/%s", path, *filename);
!
!         if (stat(filepath, &statbuf) != 0)
!             return false;
!
!         if (S_ISDIR(statbuf.st_mode))
!         {
!             /* call ourselves recursively for a directory */
!             if (!rmtree(filepath, true))
!                 return false;
!         }
!         else
!         {
!             if (init_unlink(filepath) != 0)
!                 return false;
!         }
!     }
!
!     if (rmtopdir)
!     {
!         if (rmdir(path) != 0)
!             return false;
!     }
!
!     return true;
  }

+ #ifdef WIN32
+
+ /* workaround for win32 unlink bug, not using logging like in
port/dirmod.c */
+
+ /* make sure we call the real unlink from MSVCRT */
+
+ #ifdef unlink
+ #undef unlink
+ #endif
+
+ static int
+ init_unlink(const char *path)
+ {
+     while (unlink(path))
+     {
+         if (errno != EACCES)
+             return -1;
+         Sleep(100);             /* ms */
+     }
+     return 0;
+ }
+ #endif   /* WIN32 */

  /*
   * make a copy of the array of lines, with token replaced by
replacement

Re: Cannot initdb in cvs tip

From
John Hansen
On Sun, 2004-06-20 at 08:04, Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

you could of course rmdir /s /q $PGDATA && mkdir $PGDATA if the purpose
is to leave the directory intact if it already existed prior to install.

Regards,

John
> [...]
> !
> !     rewinddir(dir);
> !
> !     filenames = xmalloc((numnames + 2) * sizeof(char *));
> !     numnames = 0;
> !
> !     while ((file = readdir(dir)) != NULL)
> !     {
> !         if (strcmp(file->d_name, ".") != 0 &&
> strcmp(file->d_name, "..") != 0)
> !             filenames[numnames++] = xstrdup(file->d_name);
> !     }
> !
> !     filenames[numnames] = NULL;
> !
> !     closedir(dir);
> !
> !     /* now we have the names we can start removing things */
> !
> !     for (filename = filenames; *filename; filename++)
> !     {
> !         snprintf(filepath, MAXPGPATH, "%s/%s", path, *filename);
> !
> !         if (stat(filepath, &statbuf) != 0)
> !             return false;
> !
> !         if (S_ISDIR(statbuf.st_mode))
> !         {
> !             /* call ourselves recursively for a directory */
> !             if (!rmtree(filepath, true))
> !                 return false;
> !         }
> !         else
> !         {
> !             if (init_unlink(filepath) != 0)
> !                 return false;
> !         }
> !     }
> !
> !     if (rmtopdir)
> !     {
> !         if (rmdir(path) != 0)
> !             return false;
> !     }
> !
> !     return true;
>   }
>
> + #ifdef WIN32
> +
> + /* workaround for win32 unlink bug, not using logging like in
> port/dirmod.c */
> +
> + /* make sure we call the real unlink from MSVCRT */
> +
> + #ifdef unlink
> + #undef unlink
> + #endif
> +
> + static int
> + init_unlink(const char *path)
> + {
> +     while (unlink(path))
> +     {
> +         if (errno != EACCES)
> +             return -1;
> +         Sleep(100);             /* ms */
> +     }
> +     return 0;
> + }
> + #endif   /* WIN32 */
>
>   /*
>    * make a copy of the array of lines, with token replaced by

Re: Cannot initdb in cvs tip

From
"Andrew Dunstan"
Date:
John Hansen said:

>> > Hm.  The rmtree() function in initdb.c is responsible for
>> > this, and I see it has WIN32-specific behavior, which is
>> > evidently wrong.
>> > Can you recommend a fix?
>>
>> The current solution does an "rmdir /q /s $PGDATA" if the datadir was
>> created, and "del /q /s $PGDATA" if the directory already existed. The
>> second case  will not work, as del will not remove directories.
>> AFAICS, there is no easy way to do this using system() as rmdir won't
>> accept wildcards, so we can't do "del $PGDATA/* && rmdir $PGDATA/*".
>>
>> It seems to me that the simple answer is to put Andrew's recursive
>> unlink code back in (as he suggested), which Bruce removed as rm etc.
>> were being used in commands/dbcommands.c (which should work fine under
>> Windows). Patch below....
>>

> you could of course rmdir /s /q $PGDATA && mkdir $PGDATA if the purpose
> is to leave the directory intact if it already existed prior to
> install.

No we can't. This was discussed months ago, IIRC. The user might very well
not have the privileges necessary to delete the directory, and might not
have the privileges to recreate it if they do.

The direct recursive delete is not a lot of code, and I must confess I
*hate* having C programs calling system() for such tasks. One of my goals
in rewriting initdb in C was to avoid any calls at all to any external
program other than postgres itself.

cheers

andrew

Re: Cannot initdb in cvs tip