Problem on cluster initialization

From
Silvio Mazzaro
Date:
Hi all!

We've a problem...

A made a tar backup copy of /var/lib/pgsql, but now (I'm still with Postgre
7.2 on a RedHat 7.3) restoring the data and launching the daemon i receive:

postmaster successfully started
bash-2.05$ FATAL 2:  The database cluster was initialized with
CATALOG_VERSION_NO 200101061,       but the backend was compiled with CATALOG_VERSION_NO 200201121.       It looks like
youneed to initdb.

Can someone explain to me how to rebuild it? :-)

No matter if i've to recompile the sources... i MUST recover the DB.

Thank you for your help!

Silvio Mazzaro

Re: Problem on cluster initialization

Date:
Silvio Mazzaro <silvio@yepa.com> writes:
> A made a tar backup copy of /var/lib/pgsql, but now (I'm still with Postgre
> 7.2 on a RedHat 7.3) restoring the data and launching the daemon i receive:

> postmaster successfully started
> bash-2.05$ FATAL 2:  The database cluster was initialized with
> CATALOG_VERSION_NO 200101061,
>         but the backend was compiled with CATALOG_VERSION_NO 200201121.
>         It looks like you need to initdb.

That is evidently a 7.1 database, not a 7.2 database.  I'm surprised
that you don't get the other version check message first --- we must
have gotten the order of testing a mite confused ... anyway you need a
7.1 server.
        regards, tom lane

Date:
On Wednesday 17 March 2004 21:23, Tom Lane wrote:

> That is evidently a 7.1 database, not a 7.2 database.  I'm surprised
> that you don't get the other version check message first --- we must
> have gotten the order of testing a mite confused ... anyway you need a
> 7.1 server.

Thank you for answering me....

I tried 7.1.3 but it gives to me the same message!!

Any suggestion?

P.S.
However... it's strange but /var/lib/pgsql/data/PG_VERSION answers:

7.2

!!!

Thank you,

Date:
Silvio Mazzaro <silvio@yepa.com> writes:
> However... it's strange but /var/lib/pgsql/data/PG_VERSION answers:
> 7.2
> !!!

Yeah?  Well, that explains something I was wondering about, which is why
the PG_VERSION mismatch complaint didn't come out first.

Where exactly did you get the server code you were running in this
database?  Is it possible that it was an early-7.2-development snapshot?
AFAICS the only code that would have used catversion 200101061 with
PG_VERSION 7.2 is 7.2 devel versions dated before 2001-05-05, which was
the next catversion change.

Anyway, the bottom line is you will need to resurrect the exact same
server code you were using before in order to read this database.
        regards, tom lane