what does it mean

From
ohp@pyrenet.fr
Date:
Hi,

I've upgraded my production system to 741 yesterday, and just discovered
this log message: statistic buffer is full.

What does it mean? filing up too fast, no more stats, need to grow?
What should I do?

Also, Many thanks for this great versionn of PostgreSQL, keep going...

Revgards

--
Olivier PRENANT                    Tel: +33-5-61-50-97-00 (Work)
6, Chemin d'Harraud Turrou           +33-5-61-50-97-01 (Fax)

Re: what does it mean

Date:
ohp@pyrenet.fr writes:
> I've upgraded my production system to 741 yesterday, and just discovered
> this log message: statistic buffer is full.

If you see this a lot, it might be worth increasing PGSTAT_RECVBUFFERSZ.
        regards, tom lane

Re: what does it mean

From
ohp@pyrenet.fr
Date:
Thanks for replying Tom,

How much is a lot? it occured ~30 times since 23pm (it's 17:48 pm now)

--

Date:
ohp@pyrenet.fr writes:
>>> I've upgraded my production system to 741 yesterday, and just discovered
>>> this log message: statistic buffer is full.
>>
>> If you see this a lot, it might be worth increasing PGSTAT_RECVBUFFERSZ.
>
> How much is a lot? it occured ~30 times since 23pm (it's 17:48 pm now)

Hm.  I wonder whether something is interfering with the stats collection
code on your system?  I can't recall anyone else reporting seeing this
log message, so I'm not convinced that PGSTAT_RECVBUFFERSZ is too small.

What platform are you using, again?
        regards, tom lane

Re: what does it mean

From
Larry Rosenman

--On Monday, January 26, 2004 12:11:19 -0500 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
wrote:

>>> If you see this a lot, it might be worth increasing PGSTAT_RECVBUFFERSZ.
>>
>> How much is a lot? it occured ~30 times since 23pm (it's 17:48 pm now)
>
> Hm.  I wonder whether something is interfering with the stats collection
> code on your system?  I can't recall anyone else reporting seeing this
> log message, so I'm not convinced that PGSTAT_RECVBUFFERSZ is too small.
>
> What platform are you using, again?
UnixWare 7.1.3

LER

>             regards, tom lane

Re: what does it mean

From
ohp@pyrenet.fr

> >> If you see this a lot, it might be worth increasing PGSTAT_RECVBUFFERSZ.
> >
> > How much is a lot? it occured ~30 times since 23pm (it's 17:48 pm now)
>
> Hm.  I wonder whether something is interfering with the stats collection
> code on your system?  I can't recall anyone else reporting seeing this
> log message, so I'm not convinced that PGSTAT_RECVBUFFERSZ is too small.
>
> What platform are you using, again?
UnixWare 7.1.3 UP3

Just noticed now, it also happend on 7.3.5 (the log message was
different...)

Do you need something to analyze it?