Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/ oc/src/sgml/catalogs.sgml rc/bac ...

From
Dennis Björklund
Date:
On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

> > Does this complete this TODO?
> >         o Allow parameters to be specified by name and type during
> >       definition
>
> Uh, no; the lack of documentation updates being one of the more glaring
> omissions.  I should think that psql's \df needs some thought too, as
> well as the other PL languages besides plpgsql.  What we've got here is
> just the core infrastructure for a feature, not the full feature.

Yes, my patch only handles pl/pgsql so far. The patch was big enough as it
was. I've not looked at it since I sent it in, I wanted to see what
happend with it before spending more time on it.

Things to do in the future is
1) Documentation. I pointed that out when I sent the patch I think.   I didn't do this partly because I had some
problembuilding the docs    and partly because I'm not sure how to write it. It must of course be    done before a
release.
2) Making it work for pl/sql. This involves changing the main parser   and maybe how the whole system for parameters
work.In pg today the   expression parser supports variables of the form $<nat>. My plan    was to change this to
$<ident>or whatever it becomes now when the    variables are not an ident anymore (not a problem).   This update can
howeverchange a lot if one want to do it correctly,     and support $<ident> variables in all places where we today
support  $<nat>. For example to let the pl-languages supply values for named   arguments.

   About the ident problem and the parser, I also got these shift/reduce    problems and just took the easy way out of
usingident. It was not    wrong to use ident. it just was not optimal in that it rules out some   names that are now
possibleto use. It didn't worry me as much as it    seemed to worry Tom.

3) Other languages. I don't think I can/want update all of them. I feel   it's enough to put the core in and the
languagemaintainers can make   use of this feature if it fits their language.

4) There are more places where one might want to extend it. For example   to handle the names for NEW/OLD in triggers.
Thesenames can now be   user defined. Not a big change, but it's possible now.

5) Probably something more that I've forgotten now.

I'm happy that the work is accepted. I spend a lot of time especially on
the catalog parts. That is a very fragile part of pg and it's not fun to
make changes there. There are assumptions in the code that is not clear to
a new coder.

ps I've just changed my email name to my real name which is Dennis
Björklund. I did that 5 years ago (still using pine) and got angry mails
back saying that my mails where broken. I hope the todays email programs
can handle non-ascii names better...

--
/Dennis Björklund

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/ oc/src/sgml/catalogs.sgml rc/bac ...

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 06:58:37 +0100, Dennis Björklund <db@zigo.dhs.org> wrote:

> ps I've just changed my email name to my real name which is Dennis
> Björklund. I did that 5 years ago (still using pine) and got angry mails
> back saying that my mails where broken. I hope the todays email programs
> can handle non-ascii names better...

It still isn't legal to use non US ASCII characters in headers. There
is an encoding scheme that can be used for the subject header. There
isn't such a system for the from header. While most mail programs
won't crash when encoutering non ASCII, not everyone is going to see
your name properly. People who are using Latin1 for display will probably
see things correctly, but people using other extensions of US ASCII
might see such things as graphics sysmbols rather than an o with an
umlat.

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/ oc/src/sgml/catalogs.sgml rc/bac

Date:
Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 06:58:37 +0100,
>   Dennis Bj?rklund <db@zigo.dhs.org> wrote:
> >
> > ps I've just changed my email name to my real name which is Dennis
> > Bj?rklund. I did that 5 years ago (still using pine) and got angry mails
> > back saying that my mails where broken. I hope the todays email programs
> > can handle non-ascii names better...
>
> It still isn't legal to use non US ASCII characters in headers. There
> is an encoding scheme that can be used for the subject header. There
> isn't such a system for the from header. While most mail programs
> won't crash when encoutering non ASCII, not everyone is going to see
> your name properly. People who are using Latin1 for display will probably
> see things correctly, but people using other extensions of US ASCII
> might see such things as graphics sysmbols rather than an o with an
> umlat.

I see a question mark with elm-ME, but that is OK.

Pennsylvania19073

Date:
On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> > ps I've just changed my email name to my real name which is Dennis
> > Björklund.
>
> It still isn't legal to use non US ASCII characters in headers. There
> is an encoding scheme that can be used for the subject header.

I hoped that pine was going to do it the correct way nowadays. I guess I
have to remove it again (or read up on the subject so I know what is
correct and what is not). I don't mind people not being able to read it,
but I don't want to send non standard emails.

--
/Dennis Björklund

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/ oc/src/sgml/catalogs.sgml

Date:
Dennis Björklund <db@zigo.dhs.org> writes:
> On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>>> ps I've just changed my email name to my real name which is Dennis
>>> Bj�rklund.
>>
>> It still isn't legal to use non US ASCII characters in headers. There
>> is an encoding scheme that can be used for the subject header.

> I hoped that pine was going to do it the correct way nowadays. I guess I
> have to remove it again (or read up on the subject so I know what is
> correct and what is not). I don't mind people not being able to read it,
> but I don't want to send non standard emails.

AFAICS, you're sendingFrom: Dennis Björklund <db@zigo.dhs.org>
which is an instance of the encoding scheme Bruno mentioned.  I have
never heard that it is only supposed to be used in Subject:
... certainly there are a ton of people besides you who use it in From:.
So I think you are legal.

Whether your name is being displayed nicely is a whole 'nother matter.
On my machine I see "Dennis Bj-rklund" or "Dennis Bj rklund" depending
on which display I look at :-(.  I think this is a font issue, but I
don't have enough motivation to track it down...
        regards, tom lane

Date:
On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 15:17:26 -0500, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> AFAICS, you're sending
>     From: Dennis Björklund <db@zigo.dhs.org>
> which is an instance of the encoding scheme Bruno mentioned.  I have
> never heard that it is only supposed to be used in Subject:
> ... certainly there are a ton of people besides you who use it in From:.
> So I think you are legal.

Yep. I thought he was using the Latin1 code for this. I double checked
the characters used in this escape sequence and they are valid to use
in an ATOM as defined by rfc 2822. So the message is legal for purposes
of email. That rfc is silent about whether the escape string should
be displayed by the client. I am not sure which one would cover that,
but apparently clients do understand it in more than just the subject
header. Older clients that don't understand that escape string will show
the above string.

> Whether your name is being displayed nicely is a whole 'nother matter.
> On my machine I see "Dennis Bj-rklund" or "Dennis Bj rklund" depending
> on which display I look at :-(.  I think this is a font issue, but I
> don't have enough motivation to track it down...

Maybe on your screen it displays as whatever character F6 is in the character
set used by your display or it may be that your font doesn't isn't a Latin1
font.

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/ oc/src/sgml/catalogs.sgml

From
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Date:
> AFAICS, you're sending
>     From: Dennis Björklund <db@zigo.dhs.org>
> which is an instance of the encoding scheme Bruno mentioned.  I have
> never heard that it is only supposed to be used in Subject:
> ... certainly there are a ton of people besides you who use it in From:.
> So I think you are legal.
>
> Whether your name is being displayed nicely is a whole 'nother matter.
> On my machine I see "Dennis Bj-rklund" or "Dennis Bj rklund" depending
> on which display I look at :-(.  I think this is a font issue, but I
> don't have enough motivation to track it down...

It displays perfectly in Windows :)

Chris

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/ oc/src/sgml/catalogs.sgml

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 09:20:02AM +0800, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> >Whether your name is being displayed nicely is a whole 'nother matter.
> >On my machine I see "Dennis Bj-rklund" or "Dennis Bj rklund" depending
> >on which display I look at :-(.  I think this is a font issue, but I
> >don't have enough motivation to track it down...
>
> It displays perfectly in Windows :)

I see it OK on Mandrake Linux too, FWIW.

rxvt -fn -*-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-*-140-75-75-*-*-iso8859-15

"La grandeza es una experiencia transitoria.  Nunca es consistente.
Depende en gran parte de la imaginación humana creadora de mitos"
(Irulan)