time format

From
ivan

how can i change default time format because now i have for example
2004-01-01 16:51:46.995927 but i want only 2004-01-01 16:51:46, with out
millisec. a tryed with Data-Style but there arent custom style :/

Re: time format

From
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Date:
Create table with type TIMESTAMP(0)

Chris

ivan wrote:

> how can i change default time format because now i have for example
> 2004-01-01 16:51:46.995927 but i want only 2004-01-01 16:51:46, with out
> millisec. a tryed with Data-Style but there arent custom style :/

Re: time format

From
ivan
Date:
but what about default style ?
first time when i saw DateStyle i thought that i can use it like C/C++
function strftime. I would be not bad idea to have custom data style :)

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> Create table with type TIMESTAMP(0)
>
> Chris
>
> ivan wrote:
>

> > how can i change default time format because now i have for example
> > 2004-01-01 16:51:46.995927 but i want only 2004-01-01 16:51:46, with out
> > millisec. a tryed with Data-Style but there arent custom style :/

> >                http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: time format

From
Kurt Roeckx
Date:
On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 09:25:14AM +0100, ivan wrote:

> but what about default style ?
> first time when i saw DateStyle i thought that i can use it like C/C++
> function strftime. I would be not bad idea to have custom data style :)

Use to_char() function to put it in any format you want.

Kurt

Re: time format

From
ivan
Date:
ok, bat each time where i want to do select .. a nie tu use to_char,
but it should be in function timestamp_out to convert time to string
it would be easer and faster.

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004, Kurt Roeckx wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 09:25:14AM +0100, ivan wrote:
> >
> > but what about default style ?
> > first time when i saw DateStyle i thought that i can use it like C/C++
> > function strftime. I would be not bad idea to have custom data style :)
>
> Use to_char() function to put it in any format you want.
>

> Kurt

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: time format

From
Martin Marques
Date:
El Sáb 03 Ene 2004 18:20, ivan escribió:
> ok, bat each time where i want to do select .. a nie tu use to_char,
> but it should be in function timestamp_out to convert time to string
> it would be easer and faster.

Look deeper into what Christopher said and use casting to get the right
output:

prueba=> select now();             now
-------------------------------2004-01-04 09:53:41.131079-03
(1 row)

prueba=> select now()::timestamp(0);        now
---------------------2004-01-04 09:53:43
(1 row)

Get the difference?

-- 09:52:01 up 39 days, 16:08,  2 users,  load average: 0.60, 0.71, 0.72
Martín Marqués        | select 'mmarques' || '@' || 'unl.edu.ar'
Centro de Telematica  |  DBA, Programador, Administrador            Universidad Nacional                 del Litoral

Re: time format

Date:
Martin Marques <martin@bugs.unl.edu.ar> writes:
> Look deeper into what Christopher said and use casting to get the right
> output:
> prueba=> select now()::timestamp(0);

There's also "current_timestamp(0)", which is a more standards-compliant
way of doing the same thing.
        regards, tom lane

Re: time format

From
ivan
Date:
i know, but i talking about default time output, it would be for
time, date and date with time, not formating all the time.

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

> Martin Marques <martin@bugs.unl.edu.ar> writes:
> > Look deeper into what Christopher said and use casting to get the right
> > output:
> > prueba=> select now()::timestamp(0);
>
> There's also "current_timestamp(0)", which is a more standards-compliant
> way of doing the same thing.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Re: time format

From
Martin Marques
Date:
Quoting Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>:

> Martin Marques <martin@bugs.unl.edu.ar> writes:
> > Look deeper into what Christopher said and use casting to get the right
> > output:
> > prueba=> select now()::timestamp(0);
>
> There's also "current_timestamp(0)", which is a more standards-compliant
> way of doing the same thing.

Didn´t know that existed. :-)

Anyway, my observation was not on the now() function, but at the casting. He
wants the output of th select over a timestamp field to come out without the
milliseconds, which is done with the casting.

Now, seeing your mail I realize that what he may want is this:

CREATE TABLE table_name (     .....     time_field   timestamp(0)
);

Remember you will lose those milliseconds for ever with this table definition.

--
Porqué usar una base de datos relacional cualquiera,
si podés usar PostgreSQL?

Re: time format

From
Karel Zak
Date:
On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 10:20:57PM +0100, ivan wrote:

> ok, bat each time where i want to do select .. a nie tu use to_char,
> but it should be in function timestamp_out to convert time to string
> it would be easer and faster.
I don't think it will too much faster :-)
BTW, for example  the Oracle allows to define  default date/time outputformat by same way as for to_char(). TODO (?):
        SET TIMESTAMP_FORMAT = 'MM/DD/YYYY HH24:MI:SS';
        SELECT 'now'::timestamp;               timestamp                  ----------------------------
01/05/200410:25:01

But it require check (be sure)  that defined format is possible withoutproblems convert back from string  to timestamp.
Forthis Thomas didn'tlike this idea.

I think dynamic timestamp format is final solution of all problems withPostgreSQL date/time formats.
Comments?
   Karel

> On Sat, 3 Jan 2004, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 09:25:14AM +0100, ivan wrote:
> > >
> > > but what about default style ?
> > > first time when i saw DateStyle i thought that i can use it like C/C++
> > > function strftime. I would be not bad idea to have custom data style :)
> >
> > Use to_char() function to put it in any format you want.
> >

> > Kurt

-- Karel Zak  <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz>http://home.zf.jcu.cz/~zakkr/

Re: time format

From
ivan
Date:
there can be same problems with back convering, but its would be only
when select is going out, to cstring form, and all its depend on user,
but this is ok :)