cvs

From
Dennis Bjorklund
Date:
What is the policy for getting cvs access? The translation work
would be so much easier of one could get permission to update
the po files directly. For example, the pg_dump file now got one
string that is not updated, to fix that I have to perfom this steps:

fetch file (cvs co or other method)
update the string
create diff, or in the case of po-files it's often easier to just            send the whole thing since there are a lot
ofstupid line            numbers that have always changed making patches big anyway.

write mail and attach file
while(!commited) { check for commit and poke commiter if needed }

My prefered way to work is to continiously update the translations when
needed. If someone adds a comma to a string, I have to perform the same
change to the translated string. It has to be an easy task if I'm going to
stay on top of the translation, and not having to spend 3 full days just
before release.

I'd be happy to promise to only update the po-files. Alla commits are
tracable and revertable anyway, so what is the problem?

--
/Dennis

Re: cvs

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Sun, 26 Oct 2003, Dennis Bjorklund wrote:

> What is the policy for getting cvs access?

generally based on the volume/size of patches being committed, as well as
the area of the code where patches are being applied ... if the person
responsible for applying submit'd patches (Peter in the case of
translations) feels that any one person is overwhelming him with patches
*and* has a history with the project (and of good patches), then that
person is offered commit access ...

Speaking of which, Joe, I did forget all about you *sigh* Will get onto
that this week ... please nudge me if I don't get it setup :)

Re: cvs

From
Dennis Bjorklund
Date:
On Sun, 26 Oct 2003, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> responsible for applying submit'd patches (Peter in the case of
> translations) feels that any one person is overwhelming him with patches

It's not so much that Peter can't handle the patches but that if there is
one string that have changed to create a mail with a patch, send it, and
wait for it to be applied is a lot of extra overhead. For me that means
that trying to translate often does not work very well.

--
/Dennis

Re: cvs

From
Joe Conway
Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> Speaking of which, Joe, I did forget all about you *sigh* Will get onto
> that this week ... please nudge me if I don't get it setup :)

No problem, I've been swamped with other things myself for a few weeks.
I'll nudge in a few days if I don't hear back.

Joe