Regarding PostgreSQL Doubt

From
"Naveen Babu .G"
Date:
Dear Sirs and Friends,
I would like to know about cube implementation and materialization
of views in postgresql database. Is it developed already or is it in
process? If it is in process, could u inform me the mail ids please? So
kindly, I request u to inform me regarding this through e-mail.

Thank You Very much

--
G. NAVEEN BABU

Re: Regarding PostgreSQL Doubt

From
Gavin Sherry
Date:
On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, Naveen Babu .G wrote:

> Dear Sirs and Friends,
>
>     I would like to know about cube implementation and materialization
> of views in postgresql database. Is it developed already or is it in
> process? If it is in process, could u inform me the mail ids please? So
> kindly, I request u to inform me regarding this through e-mail.

A patch was submitted to implement CUBE but was not accepted on account of
a poor implementation. I cannot recall anyone expressing interest in
providing a complete patch.

As for materialised views, I cannot recall any discussion of this in the
recent past.

Thanks,

Gavin

Re: Regarding PostgreSQL Doubt

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 06:18:40PM +1000, Gavin Sherry wrote:

> As for materialised views, I cannot recall any discussion of this in the
> recent past.

Sorry, what is a materialized view?  Is it something that you can do
with CREATE TABLE AS, or it is more involved than that?

"Como puedes confiar en algo que pagas y que no ves,
y no confiar en algo que te dan y te lo muestran?" (German Poo)

Date:
On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 06:18:40PM +1000, Gavin Sherry wrote:
>
> > As for materialised views, I cannot recall any discussion of this in the
> > recent past.
>
> Sorry, what is a materialized view?  Is it something that you can do
> with CREATE TABLE AS, or it is more involved than that?

Under Oracle, materialised views can be regularly updated when view base
tables are updated. They're very useful for datawarehousing and reporting,
particularly on large data sets.

Though useful, they would be far from trivial to implement in Postgres.