Oversight?

From
Rod Taylor
Date:
rbt=# ALTER USER rbt SET CONSTRAINTS ALL DEFERRED;
ERROR:  syntax error at or near "ALL" at character 32
rbt=# ALTER USER rbt SET CONSTRAINTS = DEFERRED;
ERROR:  "constraints" is not a recognized option

Re: Oversight?

Date:
Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca> writes:
> rbt=3D# ALTER USER rbt SET CONSTRAINTS ALL DEFERRED;
> ERROR:  syntax error at or near "ALL" at character 32
> rbt=3D# ALTER USER rbt SET CONSTRAINTS =3D DEFERRED;
> ERROR:  "constraints" is not a recognized option

"SET CONSTRAINTS ALL DEFERRED" is a SQL-spec-mandated command syntax.
Any similarity to Postgres' "SET var = value" syntax ends with the
initial keyword.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Oversight?

From
Rod Taylor
Date:
On Mon, 2003-08-11 at 19:16, Tom Lane wrote:
> Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca> writes:
> > rbt=# ALTER USER rbt SET CONSTRAINTS ALL DEFERRED;
> > ERROR:  syntax error at or near "ALL" at character 32
> > rbt=# ALTER USER rbt SET CONSTRAINTS = DEFERRED;
> > ERROR:  "constraints" is not a recognized option
>
> "SET CONSTRAINTS ALL DEFERRED" is a SQL-spec-mandated command syntax.
> Any similarity to Postgres' "SET var = value" syntax ends with the
> initial keyword.

Yes, but we don't support 'SET constraints = deferred' either.

Re: Oversight?

From
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
> > rbt=3D# ALTER USER rbt SET CONSTRAINTS ALL DEFERRED;
> > ERROR:  syntax error at or near "ALL" at character 32
> > rbt=3D# ALTER USER rbt SET CONSTRAINTS =3D DEFERRED;
> > ERROR:  "constraints" is not a recognized option
>
> "SET CONSTRAINTS ALL DEFERRED" is a SQL-spec-mandated command syntax.
> Any similarity to Postgres' "SET var = value" syntax ends with the
> initial keyword.

I assume his point is "how do we set all of a user's constraints deferred by
default"?

Chris

Re: Oversight?

Date:
> I assume his point is "how do we set all of a user's constraints deferred by
> default"?

[shrug]  We tell the user to create 'em that way in the first place.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Oversight?

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> > > rbt=3D# ALTER USER rbt SET CONSTRAINTS ALL DEFERRED;
> > > ERROR:  syntax error at or near "ALL" at character 32
> > > rbt=3D# ALTER USER rbt SET CONSTRAINTS =3D DEFERRED;
> > > ERROR:  "constraints" is not a recognized option
> >
> > "SET CONSTRAINTS ALL DEFERRED" is a SQL-spec-mandated command syntax.
> > Any similarity to Postgres' "SET var = value" syntax ends with the
> > initial keyword.
>
> I assume his point is "how do we set all of a user's constraints deferred by
> default"?

But constraints aren't really per user, are they?  I can see wanting to
set all of a table's contraints / dependent table constraints to deferred,
but a user's constraints doesn't make much sense to me.

Re: Oversight?

From
Stephan Szabo
Date:
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> > > rbt=3D# ALTER USER rbt SET CONSTRAINTS ALL DEFERRED;
> > > ERROR:  syntax error at or near "ALL" at character 32
> > > rbt=3D# ALTER USER rbt SET CONSTRAINTS =3D DEFERRED;
> > > ERROR:  "constraints" is not a recognized option
> >
> > "SET CONSTRAINTS ALL DEFERRED" is a SQL-spec-mandated command syntax.
> > Any similarity to Postgres' "SET var = value" syntax ends with the
> > initial keyword.
>
> I assume his point is "how do we set all of a user's constraints deferred by
> default"?

I don't think that'd make all of a user's constraints deferred, I'd think
it would make all constraints that are deferrable deferred for that
user's transactions (as if the user did a set constraints all deferred at
the beginning of every transaction).