poorly written builtin functions

From
Neil Conway
Date:
I'm working on writing a script that automatically tests all the
built-in functions. As a first step, I just passed NULL for all
of the arguments for each built-in function. I've attached a
list of the 90 functions that crash the backend when this is done.

Since the culprit functions all seem related (I believe they're
all generated by src/backend/utils/mb/conversion_procs), I'd
imagine this should be pretty easy to fix. I haven't played
with this part of the backend before, so if someone else would
like to make the necessary changes, let me know. Otherwise
I'll do it.

As for the testing script itself, it's not finished (testing
NULL inputs is just a trivial first step); when it's done, I'll
submit it for inclusion in CVS.

-Neil

Attachment

Re: poorly written builtin functions

Date:
Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> Since the culprit functions all seem related (I believe they're
> all generated by src/backend/utils/mb/conversion_procs), I'd
> imagine this should be pretty easy to fix.

They should all be marked STRICT.  Not sure how this got missed before;
thanks for catching it.
        regards, tom lane

Re: poorly written builtin functions

Date:
I assume this has been addressed?

Neil Conway wrote:
> I'm working on writing a script that automatically tests all the
> built-in functions. As a first step, I just passed NULL for all
> of the arguments for each built-in function. I've attached a
> list of the 90 functions that crash the backend when this is done.
>
> Since the culprit functions all seem related (I believe they're
> all generated by src/backend/utils/mb/conversion_procs), I'd
> imagine this should be pretty easy to fix. I haven't played
> with this part of the backend before, so if someone else would
> like to make the necessary changes, let me know. Otherwise
> I'll do it.
>
> As for the testing script itself, it's not finished (testing
> NULL inputs is just a trivial first step); when it's done, I'll
> submit it for inclusion in CVS.
>
> -Neil

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

Pennsylvania19073

Date:
On Sun, Aug 17, 2003 at 12:39:53AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I assume this has been addressed?

Yes, Tom checked a fix into CVS for the functions in question.

-Neil