followup on previous

From
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Date:
Just a slight nitpick, shouldn't this line:

Be this:

Chris

Re: followup on previous

Date:
Thomas liked Postgres rather than PostgreSQL in the docs, and I think
that's where it came from.  I use Postgres in speaking, and PostgreSQL
in writing, so I guess either is OK.

Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> Just a slight nitpick, shouldn't this line:

> Be this:

> Chris

Pennsylvania19073

Re: followup on previous

From
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Date:
I just seem to recall a discussion where we decided to 'standardise' on
PostgreSQL...I'm not fussed tho.

Chris

> Thomas liked Postgres rather than PostgreSQL in the docs, and I think
> that's where it came from.  I use Postgres in speaking, and PostgreSQL
> in writing, so I guess either is OK.

-

> Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> > Just a slight nitpick, shouldn't this line:

> > Be this:

> > Chris

> > TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if
your
> >       joining column's datatypes do not match

>   +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Newtown Square, Pennsylvania
19073

Re: followup on previous

From
Andreas Pflug
Date:
We wouldn't like to have it called Ingres too...
Spoken language is different from written, so docs should be precise.
PostgreSQL is a mark, and should be used as careful as it deserves.

Regards,
Andreas

Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

>I just seem to recall a discussion where we decided to 'standardise' on
>PostgreSQL...I'm not fussed tho.
>
>Chris

Josh Berkus
Date:
Chris,

> I just seem to recall a discussion where we decided to 'standardise' on
> PostgreSQL...I'm not fussed tho.

Putting on marketing hat:

While branding is important, unlike other projects the shortened version of
our name is still distinctive and unique ... "Postgres" is unlikely to be
mistaken for anything else.

So we should use "PostgreSQL" whenever we can remember, and correct the
abbreviated form where we see it in the documentation, but it's probably not
worth a global search-and-replace in the docs.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: followup on previous

Date:
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> Putting on marketing hat:
> While branding is important, unlike other projects the shortened version of
> our name is still distinctive and unique ... "Postgres" is unlikely to be
> mistaken for anything else.

Also, we should continue to use it reasonably frequently to help keep
newbies from falling into the supposition that the shortened version
is "Postgre" ...
        regards, tom lane