Exception table ...

From
Hans-Jürgen Schönig
Date:
I have just seen a nice feature provided by DB2 which seems very useful
to me.
When importing huge amounts of data (dozens of gigs) with the help of
COPY errors might occur from time to time (especially when migrating).
The problem with COPY is that it stops after the first error. So if the
first problem occurs after 200.000.000 records it is somehow annoying to
do the entire stuff again. If we had an option telling COPY to log all
problems into a logtable or into a separate logfile we could finish the
import and rollback the transaction after trying to import everything.
This would help a lot when migrating or importing a lot of data because
all problems with an import could be fixed at once based on the
exception table.
Did anybody think about a feature like that in the past? Does it make
sense to the group?
Best regards,
    Hans

--
Cybertec Geschwinde u Schoenig
Ludo-Hartmannplatz 1/14, A-1160 Vienna, Austria

SELECT FOR UPDATE NOWAIT

From
"Paulo Scardine"
Date:
My boss is asking for something like Oracle's "SELECT FOR UPDATE NOWAIT".

Is there any such feature? If no, should I look forward into implementing
this? Any advice?

Thank you,
--
Paulo Scardine

---

Re: SELECT FOR UPDATE NOWAIT

From
Rod Taylor
Date:
On Fri, 2003-07-18 at 19:46, Paulo Scardine wrote:
> My boss is asking for something like Oracle's "SELECT FOR UPDATE NOWAIT".
>
> Is there any such feature? If no, should I look forward into implementing
> this? Any advice?

Lookup STATEMENT_TIMEOUT and set it to a very short time.

Re: SELECT FOR UPDATE NOWAIT

Date:
Rod Taylor wrote:
-- Start of PGP signed section.
> On Fri, 2003-07-18 at 19:46, Paulo Scardine wrote:
> > My boss is asking for something like Oracle's "SELECT FOR UPDATE NOWAIT".
> >
> > Is there any such feature? If no, should I look forward into implementing
> > this? Any advice?
>
> Lookup STATEMENT_TIMEOUT and set it to a very short time.

Some people have said they want to distinguish between a slow query
(busy system) and waiting on a lock.  I can particulary see wanting to
do a NOWAIT only on exclusive locks --- not sure how many really want
that, though.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Exception table ...

From
Christoph Haller

> I have just seen a nice feature provided by DB2 which seems very
useful
> to me.
> When importing huge amounts of data (dozens of gigs) with the help of
> COPY errors might occur from time to time (especially when migrating).

> The problem with COPY is that it stops after the first error. So if
the
> first problem occurs after 200.000.000 records it is somehow annoying
> do the entire stuff again. If we had an option telling COPY to log all

> problems into a logtable or into a separate logfile we could finish
the
> import and rollback the transaction after trying to import everything.

> This would help a lot when migrating or importing a lot of data
because
> all problems with an import could be fixed at once based on the
> exception table.
> Did anybody think about a feature like that in the past? Does it make
> sense to the group?

The same goes for me, sounds very useful. And if I didn't dream it,
I'm pretty sure there have been requests for a feature like that before.

Regards, Christoph