sugsestions

From
ivan
Date:
What do you think about :

1. OPTION RETURNS NULL ON NULL INPUT (when function is created) change to RETURNS <val> ON NULL INPUT .... ???

2. CREATE TYPE .. with  INHERITS (..) like in CREATE TABLEbut type should be normaly with including base typecreate
typeA AS (A INT,B INT);

andcreate type B AS (C INT, D INT) INHERITS( A ); ==create type B AS (A INT, B INT, C INT, D INT );can be ??

3. For example :CREATE TABLE t1 (A  INT, B INT );CREATE TABLE t2 (C INT , D INT ) INHERITS(t1);
SELECT a.* FRom t2 a ; give me 4 cols (A,B,C and D)SELECT a.C,((t1)a).* FROM t2 a; should give me 3 cols (C,A and B)its
likein c++ , but in c++ you need to use ((t1&)a) cast it.I cant find the words in english , but i hope you understand
this.

4. This is q question . Is in SPI sth like try and catch () ? It would be very useful to error .. plpgsql should have
thistoo. (itd also from c++)

5. What do you think about crontab in postgres database , like pg_crontab ?

6. the last. i need to create function with only one select with security definer . The best way is to create function
withlanguage SQL . Problem is becaulse table from which is this select dont exists , jet. It will be a temp table .
Wheni create function [....] language SQL there is a error about non-exists table. So i have proposition to include
optionto create function command : WITH / WITHOUT CHECK ... ? or PRECOMPILE ? What do you think ?

thanks :>ivan

Re: sugsestions

From
Rod Taylor
Date:
On Tue, 2003-07-08 at 21:31, ivan wrote:
> What do you think about :
>
> 1. OPTION RETURNS NULL ON NULL INPUT (when function is created) change to
>   RETURNS <val> ON NULL INPUT .... ???

I personally think this should be up to the specific function to
capture.  This way it could be a complex result.

> 2. CREATE TYPE .. with  INHERITS (..) like in CREATE TABLE
>  but type should be normaly with including base type
>  create type A AS (A INT,B INT);
> and
>  create type B AS (C INT, D INT) INHERITS( A ); ==
>  create type B AS (A INT, B INT, C INT, D INT );
>  can be ??

I like this.  The equivalent table syntax for absorbing table structure
into another table is LIKE:

CREATE TABLE othertable (acol integer);
CREATE TABLE a (col integer, LIKE othertable, anothercol integer);

I could see:

CREATE TYPE a AS (a integer, b integer);
CREATE TYPE b AS (LIKE a, c integer, d integer);

> 5. What do you think about crontab in postgres database , like pg_crontab
>   ?

This has been debated several times.  Each time it has ended with
standard cron being the best solution for cron.

Re: sugsestions

From
ivan

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Rod Taylor wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-07-08 at 21:31, ivan wrote:
> > What do you think about :
> >
> > 1. OPTION RETURNS NULL ON NULL INPUT (when function is created) change to
> >   RETURNS <val> ON NULL INPUT .... ???
>
> I personally think this should be up to the specific function to
> capture.  This way it could be a complex result.
>
> > 2. CREATE TYPE .. with  INHERITS (..) like in CREATE TABLE
> >  but type should be normaly with including base type
> >  create type A AS (A INT,B INT);
> > and
> >  create type B AS (C INT, D INT) INHERITS( A ); ==
> >  create type B AS (A INT, B INT, C INT, D INT );
> >  can be ??
>
> I like this.  The equivalent table syntax for absorbing table structure
> into another table is LIKE:
>
> CREATE TABLE othertable (acol integer);
> CREATE TABLE a (col integer, LIKE othertable, anothercol integer);
>
> I could see:
>
> CREATE TYPE a AS (a integer, b integer);
> CREATE TYPE b AS (LIKE a, c integer, d integer);

This way is very good !!
I see i thing :

CREATE TABLE a AS (a int, b int);
CREATE TABLE b AS (x a.a%ROWTYPE, a int, b a.b%ROWTYPE);
like in plpgsql...
May be there should be others word , but i want to show my view .. :>