btree index growth

From
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Date:
How "fixed" is the btree index growth issue in 7.4?  Does it mean no more
reindexing ever?  Or does it mean reindexing once a month instead of once a
week?

Chris

Re: btree index growth

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Chris,

> How "fixed" is the btree index growth issue in 7.4?  Does it mean no more
> reindexing ever?  Or does it mean reindexing once a month instead of once a
> week?

The Free Space Map has been extended to cover indexes.  So this means that
with proper FSM tuning, one may be able to eliminate or tremendously postpone
REINDEX.

Without proper FSM tuning, of course, you're no better off than 7.3.

--
-Josh BerkusAglio Database SolutionsSan Francisco

Re: btree index growth

Date:
> How "fixed" is the btree index growth issue in 7.4?  Does it mean no more
> reindexing ever?  Or does it mean reindexing once a month instead of once a
> week?

Try it and tell us ;-).  I think it will depend on your usage patterns
to some extent.
        regards, tom lane