Re: [GENERAL] pg_dump "all tables" in 7.3.X

From
Paul Ramsey
Date:
Oh, if it's by design then the "pg_dump --help" text should be updated
correspondingly. The online doco is already correct.

Tom Lane wrote:
> Paul Ramsey <pramsey@refractions.net> writes:
>
>>We are trying to do an "all tables" dump using the 7.3.3 pg_dump, but
>>are getting no love.  The pg_dump command which worked before, in 7.2,
>>no longer returns any tables:
>>   pg_dump -t "*" dbname
>>Is this by design, or by accident?
>

> By design.  Just omit the -t switch if you want all tables.
>
> ("*" is a legal table name, if perhaps not a very bright choice, so the
> old behavior was really not consistent.)
>
>             regards, tom lane

--       __     /     | Paul Ramsey     | Refractions Research     | Email: pramsey@refractions.net     | Phone: (250)
885-0632    \_

Re: [GENERAL] pg_dump "all tables" in 7.3.X

Date:
Paul Ramsey <pramsey@refractions.net> writes:
> Oh, if it's by design then the "pg_dump --help" text should be updated
> correspondingly. The online doco is already correct.

Hm.  Wait a minute --- I was thinking of 7.4 not 7.3.  The "*" hack does
appear to still be there in the 7.3 source code.  Are you sure you're
typing the command just like that?
>     pg_dump -t "*" dbname
        regards, tom lane

Re: [GENERAL] pg_dump "all tables" in 7.3.X

From
Paul Ramsey
Entirely sure:

[pramsey@hydra pg_dump]$ which pg_dump
/opt/pgsql73/bin/pg_dump
[pramsey@hydra pg_dump]$ pg_dump -t "*" pramsey
--
-- PostgreSQL database dump
--

[pramsey@hydra pg_dump]$

Date:
Paul Ramsey <pramsey@refractions.net> writes:
> Entirely sure:

Hmph.  There must be some bug in the 7.3 code for it then.  Since we've
already ripped out that code for 7.4, I'm not too excited about finding
the problem...
        regards, tom lane