Postgresql Filesystem

From
Kevin Lo
Date:
Hi,

After reading an article about pgfs:
I can't find pgfs, and it seems the author had not maintain it for a
long time. Would anyone know any other project do the same thing?
Thanks.

- Kevin

Re: Postgresql Filesystem

From
Christopher Browne
Kevin Lo wrote:
> After reading an article about pgfs:
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=1383
> I can't find pgfs, and it seems the author had not maintain it for a
> long time. Would anyone know any other project do the same thing?

With *somewhat* different intent are: http://sourceforge.net/projects/sqlfs/ http://www.relex.ru/~yarick/

They are trying to provide a mapping of a DBMS onto a filesystem which
is a neat-but-weird idea...

Intentionally similar: http://www.netcraft.com.au/geoffrey/katie/

Katie is consciously reminiscent of Clearcase, mounting a development
repository via NFS, storing things in a PostgreSQL database.
--
output = reverse("moc.enworbbc@" "enworbbc")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/textversion.html

Unrelated question

From
Ben Clewett
Date:
Please forgive an unrelated question.  It's totally a sign of respect
for some gues who know something!

I'm looking for an OSS monitor watchdog program.  Watching
servers/services for signes of life.  Emailing and sending pages when
dead.  Prefereably with a module for checking PostgreSQL is up and
serving queries...

If any members have experience of something compitent, I would be very
greatful.

Thanks again,

Ben.

Re: Unrelated question

From
"Jeroen T. Vermeulen"
Date:
On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 12:49:57PM +0000, Ben Clewett wrote:

> I'm looking for an OSS monitor watchdog program.  Watching
> servers/services for signes of life.  Emailing and sending pages when
> dead.  Prefereably with a module for checking PostgreSQL is up and
> serving queries...

You could try Little Brother, which also happens to run on top of
postgres.  Checking a database server can be as easy as writing a
command line to execute: ssh mydbserver psql -c 'select 1'

Little Brother is available from sourceforge.

Jeroen

Re: Unrelated question

From
Hannu Krosing
Date:
Ben Clewett kirjutas N, 24.04.2003 kell 15:49:
> Please forgive an unrelated question.  It's totally a sign of respect
> for some gues who know something!
>
> I'm looking for an OSS monitor watchdog program.  Watching
> servers/services for signes of life.  Emailing and sending pages when
> dead.  Prefereably with a module for checking PostgreSQL is up and
> serving queries...
>
> If any members have experience of something compitent, I would be very
> greatful.

High-Availability Linux Project at

http://perens.com/Slides/HP-World-2001/HighAvailability/linux-ha.org/

has a section 'Monitoring and Administration Software for Linux'.

You could check there and report if some support PostgreSQL.

----------------
Hannu

Re: Postgresql Filesystem

From
Kevin Lo
Date:
Christopher Browne wrote:
> Kevin Lo wrote:
> > After reading an article about pgfs:
> > http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=1383
> > I can't find pgfs, and it seems the author had not maintain it for a
> > long time. Would anyone know any other project do the same thing?
>
> With *somewhat* different intent are:
>   http://sourceforge.net/projects/sqlfs/
>   http://www.relex.ru/~yarick/
>
> They are trying to provide a mapping of a DBMS onto a filesystem which
> is a neat-but-weird idea...

I've tried sqlfs, it doesn't compile. I checked web cvs of sqlfs, the
author hasn't commit any thing about ten months :-(

> Intentionally similar:
>   http://www.netcraft.com.au/geoffrey/katie/
>
> Katie is consciously reminiscent of Clearcase, mounting a development
> repository via NFS, storing things in a PostgreSQL database.
> --
> output = reverse("moc.enworbbc@" "enworbbc")
> http://cbbrowne.com/info/textversion.html
> "prepBut nI vrbLike adjHungarian! qWhat's artThe adjBig nProblem?"
> -- Alec Flett

- Kevin