Re: [PERFORM] OSS database needed for testing

From
"Merlin Moncure"
Date:
> I'm quite familiar with RadioSoft.  Can't afford any of the software;
> familiar
> with the products... :-)
>
> I've been putting together open source tools to do much of the same
stuff.
> With the release of the FCC's Fortran source, I've been able to do
> virtually
> everything I need to do.
>
> But while the LMR dataset is larger, the MB dataset is just as varied.
> I'm
> interested in both, however.

Peter's my father!   At RadioSoft I worked over that same fortran code
you talked about.  We ported most of it to C.  Of course, I would prefer
not to write any software that would compete with my father's company,
free or no :)
I can tell you, though; the land mobile database is much more
complicated.  Getting it to run decently on pc hardware is a significant
engineering challenge.  OTOH, the broadcast database isn't too bad.  For
example, the last time I checked there were about 40k tv stations in the
cdbs, compared with about 4m frequencies in the land mobile private.
Also the lm database has a much wider scope of function.  The
requirements for broadcast have changed (like the nature of broadcast
technology itself) very little in the last 50 years, except for the
ill-fated DTV rollout and the failed AM stereo.  It's a conservative
industry.

Merlin

Re: [PERFORM] OSS database needed for testing

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
On Friday 04 April 2003 14:54, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> I can tell you, though; the land mobile database is much more
> complicated.  Getting it to run decently on pc hardware is a significant
> engineering challenge.

Then it sounds like it's a better fit for Josh's requirements.

> ill-fated DTV rollout and the failed AM stereo.  It's a conservative
> industry.

Tell me about it. Yet we get IBOC....and the 30,000 translator apps in the one
week window... Anyway, those topics more correctly belong to
radio-tech@broadcast.net; rather off-topic here.

I do still want to get CDBS in a PostgreSQL setup, with automatic nightly
import, at some point in time.  Just probably not as quickly as Josh needs a
dataset to crank on.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: [PERFORM] OSS database needed for testing

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Lamar,

> I do still want to get CDBS in a PostgreSQL setup, with automatic nightly
> import, at some point in time.  Just probably not as quickly as Josh needs a
> dataset to crank on.

Oh, I don't know.   I expect setting this up to take several weeks.   And if
we do the CDBS database as part of the test pack, then you can get my help
without paying the $175/hour I normally charge <grin>.

--
-Josh BerkusAglio Database SolutionsSan Francisco