can't create database

From
"John Liu"
Date:
on one of the AIX4.3.3,
the 7.1.3 pgsql is installed by root on the system,
then I tried to install
7.3.1/or 7.3.2 under another non-root user,
I can run make, make check, make install,
postmaster can start without errors, but when
I try to createdb, here're some errors -

createdb emrxdbs
ERROR:  'autocommit' is not a valid option name
createdb: database creation failed

then I issued,
postgre7.3.2>psql template1
ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "."

Type:  \copyright for distribution terms      \h for help with SQL commands      \? for help on internal slash commands
    \g or terminate with semicolon to execute query      \q to quit

template1=> select version();                         version
------------------------------------------------------------PostgreSQL 7.1.3 on powerpc-ibm-aix4.3.3.0, compiled by cc
(1 row)

template1=>

it picks the older version and always having a parser error!!

Any hints?

thanks.

johnl

Re: can't create database

From
Christoph Haller

> on one of the AIX4.3.3,
> the 7.1.3 pgsql is installed by root on the system,
> then I tried to install
> 7.3.1/or 7.3.2 under another non-root user,
> I can run make, make check, make install,
> postmaster can start without errors, but when
> I try to createdb, here're some errors -
>
> createdb emrxdbs
> ERROR:  'autocommit' is not a valid option name
> createdb: database creation failed
>
> then I issued,
> postgre7.3.2>psql template1
> ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "."
> Welcome to psql 7.3.2, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.
>
> Type:  \copyright for distribution terms
>        \h for help with SQL commands
>        \? for help on internal slash commands
>        \g or terminate with semicolon to execute query
>        \q to quit
>
> template1=> select version();
>                           version
>  PostgreSQL 7.1.3 on powerpc-ibm-aix4.3.3.0, compiled by cc
> (1 row)
>
> template1=>
>
> it picks the older version and always having a parser error!!
>
> Any hints?

You'll probably need to set a second PGPORT to make two versions
run. See the docs.
Regards, Christoph

Re: can't create database

From
"John Liu"
Date:
I already set the 2nd port for the new
installation, otherwise, postmaster will not
start up ...

johnl

Re: can't create database

Date:
"John Liu" <johnl@emrx.com> writes:
> I already set the 2nd port for the new
> installation, otherwise, postmaster will not
> start up ...

But your client-side programs are still talking to the port where the
old postmaster is.

You could set PGPORT in their environment to fix that.  What I find more
convenient, though, when I intend to run multiple installations on one
machine, is to build each one with "--with-pgport=XXXX" added to the
configure switches, choosing a different default port XXXX for each.
Then you don't have to worry about switching PGPORT environment (only
about putting the right version of psql first in your path ...)
        regards, tom lane