7.3.1 documentation updates

Date:
I have not been aggressive about backpatching documentation improvements
into 7.3.1.  Is that something I should check?

As I remember, we didn't update the official docs for minor releases.
Is that still true?

Pennsylvania19073

Re: 7.3.1 documentation updates

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I have not been aggressive about backpatching documentation improvements
> into 7.3.1.  Is that something I should check?
>
> As I remember, we didn't update the official docs for minor releases.
> Is that still true?

They say hydergine helps the memory.  The idocs were never updated
to current version until around the .1 release since there were usually
discrepencies and it was a pain to update them.

Vince.
-- Fast, inexpensive internet service 56k and beyond!  http://www.pop4.net/  http://www.meanstreamradio.com
http://www.unknown-artists.com       Internet radio: It's not file sharing, it's just radio.

Re: 7.3.1 documentation updates

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Bruce Momjian writes:

> I have not been aggressive about backpatching documentation improvements
> into 7.3.1.  Is that something I should check?

Probably in the future it would be good to put a minimal amount of work
in polishing the documentation in the stable branch.

> As I remember, we didn't update the official docs for minor releases.
> Is that still true?

It never was.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: 7.3.1 documentation updates

Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > I have not been aggressive about backpatching documentation improvements
> > into 7.3.1.  Is that something I should check?
>
> Probably in the future it would be good to put a minimal amount of work
> in polishing the documentation in the stable branch.
>
> > As I remember, we didn't update the official docs for minor releases.
> > Is that still true?
>
> It never was.

I meant we don't create new doc tarballs for minor releases.  Is that

Date:
> I meant we don't create new doc tarballs for minor releases.  Is that
> still true?

If someone's willing to do the work of regenerating the doc tarballs,
I think it would be a real good idea to update them for minor releases.
Peter, are you volunteering for that?

I will take the blame for the lack of advance notice of this release.
core had discussed it over the weekend, and agreed at my suggestion to
plan a Wednesday release.  We should have let -hackers know of the plan,
and in fact I intended to do that but forgot.  Mea culpa.
        regards, tom lane

Tom Lane writes:

> If someone's willing to do the work of regenerating the doc tarballs,
> I think it would be a real good idea to update them for minor releases.

They are being updated, they have been for quite a while, and there's no
one volunteering because it's done rather automatically.  (The 7.3.1
"preview" from the other day contained freshly built documentation, and I
didn't have anything to do with it.)

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net