bison error

From
"bigapple"
Date:
hi,When I check out the pgsql from cvs and I complile it,  an error occured .

dir: pgsql/src/interfaces/ecpg/preproc
bison -y -d preproc.y
erro information: preproc.y:5559: fatal error: maximum table size (32767) exceeded.

However, I used the source from the ftp, find preproc.c in there.  gmake will skip the
step(bison -y -d preproc.y) and succeeded.

who can tell me why?

          2002-12-09

Re: bison error

From
Neil Conway
Date:
On Mon, 2002-12-09 at 01:58, bigapple wrote:
>  When I check out the pgsql from cvs and I complile it,  an error occured .
>
> dir: pgsql/src/interfaces/ecpg/preproc
> bison -y -d preproc.y
> erro information:
>   preproc.y:5559: fatal error: maximum table size (32767) exceeded.

You need to use Bison 1.50 or greater, due to a limitation in previous
versions of Bison.

Cheers,

Neil

Re: bison error

From
Joe Conway
bigapple wrote:
> hi,
>  When I check out the pgsql from cvs and I complile it,  an error occured .
>
> dir: pgsql/src/interfaces/ecpg/preproc
> bison -y -d preproc.y
> erro information:
>   preproc.y:5559: fatal error: maximum table size (32767) exceeded.

You need at least version 1.5 of bison. Last time I checked, the latest out
was 1.75

> However, I used the source from the ftp, find preproc.c in there.  gmake will skip the
> step(bison -y -d preproc.y) and succeeded.
>
> who can tell me why?

Source distributions contain preprocessed files so that you can compile
PostgreSQL without needing bison installed. I think you only need bison if you
get source code from CVS (or want to hack the grammar in the source distribution).

HTH,

Joe