7.3 pg_relcheck oddness

From
Paul Ramsey
Date:
I am poking around at upgrading PostGIS to work with version 7.3. So
far, the changes seem relatively minor. There is one odd quirk though.
Having gotten the PostGIS types and index bindings loaded, and having
loaded a table full of spatial data, trying to do
  \d thetable

returns
  ERROR:  Relation "pg_relcheck" does not exist

And when I check, lo and behold, it does *not* exist! \d still works on
all "normal" tables however. I checked in the 7.2 instance, and
pg_relcheck does exist, but has no entries in it. Simply adding an empty
pg_relcheck to my 7.3 instance using the old 7.2 definitions caused \d
to start working again on my spatial table.

P.

--       __     /     | Paul Ramsey     | Refractions Research     | Email: pramsey@refractions.net     | Phone: (250)
885-0632    \_

Re: 7.3 pg_relcheck oddness

From
Paul Ramsey
Date:
On further investigation, the problem is related to using a 7.2 psql
against a 7.3 backend. The \d from the 7.2 psql is not compatible with
the 7.3 backend in the case of tables with non-standard types apparently.

P.

Date:
Paul Ramsey <pramsey@refractions.net> writes:
>    \d thetable
> returns
>    ERROR:  Relation "pg_relcheck" does not exist

I think you are using a 7.2 psql with the 7.3 server.  There will be
quite a few problems with backslash commands in that combination
(or the reverse), because of the extensive catalog changes in 7.3.
        regards, tom lane