PG functions in Java: maybe use gcj?

Date:
I had an interesting conversation today with Tom Tromey and Andrew Haley
of Red Hat about how to implement "pljava" for Postgres.  Rather than
futzing with an external JVM, their thought is to use gcj (gcc compiling
Java).  It sounds like this approach would mostly just work, modulo
needing to use a small amount of C++ code to call the defined APIs for
gcj.

This would not be a perfect solution: gcj isn't yet ported everywhere,
and it would probably not play nice on machines where the standard C
library isn't thread-safe.  But it seems a lot more within reach than
the approaches we've discussed in the past.

I'm not volunteering to try to do this, but I wanted to toss the idea
up in the air and see if anyone wants to try it.  Tom and Andrew
indicated they'd be willing to help out with advice etc for anyone
who wants to take on the project.
        regards, tom lane

Re: PG functions in Java: maybe use gcj?

From
Barry Lind
Date:
I am not sure I follow.  Are you suggesting:

1)  create function takes java source and then calls gcj to compile it
to native and build a .so from it that would get called at runtime?

or

2)  create function takes java source and just compiles to java .class
files and the runtime invokes the gcj java interpreter.

or I guess you could do both at the same time.

In either case I am concerned about licensing issues.  gcj is not under
a BSD style license.  Depending on what you need you are either dealing
with regular GPL, LGPL, or LGPL with a special java exception.

I beleive (without giving it too much thought) that doing either 1 or 2
above would end up linking GPL code into postgres.  This can be worked
around by requiring the the necessary gcj libraries be installed
separately and detected at configure time (like is done elsewhere).  But
is does (I think) present a problem for commercial products that would
like to redistribute postgres with pljava.

Another challenge here it that the java code is going to want to use the
jdbc api when communicating with the database.  One difficulty here is
getting jdbc to be part of the same transaction as the calling java
function.  Such that if the java stored procedure selects or updates
data it is doing it in the same transaction as the caller of the
function.  Today the jdbc driver only knows how to communicate via the
FE/BE protocol which will end up creating a new process and transaction.  The jdbc driver would need to not use the
FE/BEprotocol but instead

probably use jni calls.

thanks,
--Barry

Date:
Barry Lind <blind@xythos.com> writes:
> I am not sure I follow.  Are you suggesting:
> 1)  create function takes java source and then calls gcj to compile it
> to native and build a .so from it that would get called at runtime?
> or
> 2)  create function takes java source and just compiles to java .class
> files and the runtime invokes the gcj java interpreter.
> or I guess you could do both at the same time.

The impression I had (after not looking very closely) was that you could
expect to compile to bytecodes on the fly and then run the gcj
interpreter.  But the .so alternative might be a good fallback if that
doesn't work.

> In either case I am concerned about licensing issues.  gcj is not under
> a BSD style license.  Depending on what you need you are either dealing
> with regular GPL, LGPL, or LGPL with a special java exception.
> I beleive (without giving it too much thought) that doing either 1 or 2
> above would end up linking GPL code into postgres.  This can be worked
> around by requiring the the necessary gcj libraries be installed
> separately and detected at configure time (like is done elsewhere).  But
> is does (I think) present a problem for commercial products that would
> like to redistribute postgres with pljava.

Good point, but unless you want to build a BSD-license Java
implementation, there will never be a pljava that doesn't have different
licensing restrictions than PG itself does.  gcj is at least more free
than either Sun's or IBM's JVM ...

> Another challenge here it that the java code is going to want to use the
> jdbc api when communicating with the database.

Yes.  I think we'd need a new implementation of jdbc that sits atop SPI
(invoked via jni I guess) rather than a FE/BE connection.  How well
layered is our jdbc code --- would this mean a large rewrite, or just
rolling in a new bottom layer?

Tom Lane wrote:
> Barry Lind <blind@xythos.com> writes:
>
>>In either case I am concerned about licensing issues.  gcj is not under
>>a BSD style license.  Depending on what you need you are either dealing
>>with regular GPL, LGPL, or LGPL with a special java exception.
>>I beleive (without giving it too much thought) that doing either 1 or 2
>>above would end up linking GPL code into postgres.  This can be worked
>>around by requiring the the necessary gcj libraries be installed
>>separately and detected at configure time (like is done elsewhere).  But
>>is does (I think) present a problem for commercial products that would
>>like to redistribute postgres with pljava.
>

> Good point, but unless you want to build a BSD-license Java
> implementation, there will never be a pljava that doesn't have different
> licensing restrictions than PG itself does.  gcj is at least more free
> than either Sun's or IBM's JVM ...

It depends on what you mean by more free.  An architecture that
interacts with an external jvm would let you use any jvm (free ones as
well as others).  From a licensing standpoint it is generally easy to
redistribute a jvm or expect the user to have one installed (most java
based products out there today do this).

However in the proposal here we are talking about requiring a specific
jvm (gcj) and actually linking parts of it into postgres.  To the extent
that GPL code is linked in the GPL extends to the entire code base.  As
I said previously there are ways to work around this, but it becomes
tricky.  Especially when a commercial product wants to bundle postgres
and pljava.  That resulting bundle is probably entirely under the GPL
and then any changes to it are also GPL.  So it could be the case that
this company would be prevented from submitting improvements they made
back to the core product because their improvements are GPLed as a
result of pljava.

Now having said all that, I have been monitoring the progres of gcj for
some time because I think there are very interesting possibilities.  And
I am all for anyone who wants to look into it further and investigate
the possiblities.  I just want to raise the licensing issue because it
can cause problems and it is better to think about them up front than
after the fact.

>>Another challenge here it that the java code is going to want to use the
>>jdbc api when communicating with the database.
>

> Yes.  I think we'd need a new implementation of jdbc that sits atop SPI
> (invoked via jni I guess) rather than a FE/BE connection.  How well
> layered is our jdbc code --- would this mean a large rewrite, or just
> rolling in a new bottom layer?

It isn't as well layered as it could be, but it isn't too bad.  Overall
it shouldn't be too much work, but not a little project either.  One
area that isn't well layered is the assumption that the raw data from
the server is in text format, since that is what the FE/BE protocol
provides.  So all the conversion functions that convert to/from java
datatypes do so in this format.  This assumption runs deep into the
code.  As a first pass it would be easiest to get raw data from SPI
convert to text and then convert to java datatypes instead of going
directly from the internal SPI format directly to java datatypes.  This
could be improved upon later.

>             regards, tom lane

thanks,
--Barry

Re: PG functions in Java: maybe use gcj?

From
Oliver Elphick
Date:
On Thu, 2002-10-31 at 18:27, Barry Lind wrote:

> However in the proposal here we are talking about requiring a specific
> jvm (gcj) and actually linking parts of it into postgres.  To the extent
> that GPL code is linked in the GPL extends to the entire code base.  As
> I said previously there are ways to work around this, but it becomes
> tricky.  Especially when a commercial product wants to bundle postgres
> and pljava.  That resulting bundle is probably entirely under the GPL
> and then any changes to it are also GPL.  So it could be the case that
> this company would be prevented from submitting improvements they made
> back to the core product because their improvements are GPLed as a
> result of pljava.

Nothing that company does can affect the licensing of PostgreSQL itself
- it doesn't belong to them, so they cannot change its licence.

Nothing in the GPL forces them to put GPL copyright on their own
alterations.

What they cannot do is to _distribute_ binary code that links to GPL
code while giving fewer rights to their distributees than they
themselves received with the GPL code, whether in respect of their own
code or the GPL code.  Therefore they would be required to make their
source changes available to anyone to whom they gave a binary, and they
would not be able to restrict the further distribution of those
changes.  They can contribute those changes to the project under
whatever licence they wish that is acceptable to the project.

Furthermore, gcj is part of the GNU compiler collection, like gcc, and
using it does not in itself cause code compiled under it to be subject
to the GPL.  Linking to its runtime library would normally cause that,
but the gcj-3.0 copyright contains the following text:

The libgcj library is licensed under the terms of the GNU General
Public License, with this special exception:
   As a special exception, if you link this library with other files   to produce an executable, this library does not
byitself cause   the resulting executable to be covered by the GNU General Public   License.  This exception does not
howeverinvalidate any other   reasons why the executable file might be covered by the GNU   General Public License.

Isle of Wight, UK
http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
========================================   "But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their      strength; they
shallmount up with wings as eagles;      they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk,     and not faint."
      Isaiah 40:31