7.2.3 patching done

Date:
I'm done making back-patches for 7.2.3.  Over to you, Bruce ...
attached is the REL7_2_STABLE branch history since 7.2.2.

* src/backend/utils/adt/: date.c, datetime.c (REL7_2_STABLE):Back-patch fixes to work around broken mktime() in recent
glibcreleases.

* src/backend/: commands/async.c, tcop/postgres.c (REL7_2_STABLE):Back-patch fix for bad SIGUSR2 interrupt handling
duringbackendshutdown.

* src/: backend/storage/lmgr/s_lock.c, include/storage/s_lock.h(REL7_2_STABLE): Back-patch fix for correct TAS
operationonmulti-CPU PPC machines.

* src/backend/: bootstrap/bootstrap.c, storage/buffer/buf_init.c,storage/lmgr/lwlock.c, storage/lmgr/proc.c
(REL7_2_STABLE):Back-patchfix for 'can't wait without a PROC structure' failures:remove separate
ShutdownBufferPoolAccessexit callback, and do thework in ProcKill instead, before we delete MyProc.

* src/: backend/access/transam/clog.c,backend/access/transam/xlog.c,
backend/bootstrap/bootstrap.c,backend/tcop/utility.c,include/access/xlog.h (REL7_2_STABLE):Back-patch fix to ensure a
checkpointoccurs before truncatingCLOG, even if no recent WAL activity has occurred.

* src/backend/commands/vacuum.c (REL7_2_STABLE): Back-patch fix tonot change pg_database.datvacuumxid or truncate CLOG
whenanunprivileged user runs VACUUM.

* src/backend/utils/adt/ruleutils.c (REL7_2_STABLE): Back-patch fixfor failure to dump views containing FULL JOIN
USING. The bug isnot present in CVS tip due to cleanup of JOIN handling, but 7.2.*is broken.

Re: 7.2.3 patching done

Date:
OK, 7.2.3 is all branded and ready to go.  HISTORY/release.sgml shows:

                                Release Notes

                                Release 7.2.3
    Release date: 2002-10-01
  This has a variety of fixes from 7.2.2, including fixes to prevent  possible data loss.

Migration to version 7.2.3
  A dump/restore is *not* required for those running 7.2.X.

Changes
Prevent possible compressed transaction log loss (Tom)Prevent non-superuser from increasing most recent vacuum info
(Tom)Handlepre-1970 date values in newer versions of glibc (Tom)Fix possible hang during server shutdownPrevent
spinlockhangs on SMP PPC machines (Tomoyuki Niijima)Fix pg_dump to properly dump FULL JOIN USING (Tom)

Tom Lane wrote:
> I'm done making back-patches for 7.2.3.  Over to you, Bruce ...
> attached is the REL7_2_STABLE branch history since 7.2.2.
>
>             regards, tom lane

>     * src/backend/utils/adt/: date.c, datetime.c (REL7_2_STABLE):
>     Back-patch fixes to work around broken mktime() in recent glibc
>     releases.

>     * src/backend/: commands/async.c, tcop/postgres.c (REL7_2_STABLE):
>     Back-patch fix for bad SIGUSR2 interrupt handling during backend
>     shutdown.

>     * src/: backend/storage/lmgr/s_lock.c, include/storage/s_lock.h
>     (REL7_2_STABLE): Back-patch fix for correct TAS operation on
>     multi-CPU PPC machines.

>     * src/backend/: bootstrap/bootstrap.c, storage/buffer/buf_init.c,
>     storage/lmgr/lwlock.c, storage/lmgr/proc.c (REL7_2_STABLE):
>     Back-patch fix for 'can't wait without a PROC structure' failures:
>     remove separate ShutdownBufferPoolAccess exit callback, and do the
>     work in ProcKill instead, before we delete MyProc.

>     * src/: backend/access/transam/clog.c,
>     backend/access/transam/xlog.c, backend/bootstrap/bootstrap.c,
>     backend/tcop/utility.c, include/access/xlog.h (REL7_2_STABLE):
>     Back-patch fix to ensure a checkpoint occurs before truncating
>     CLOG, even if no recent WAL activity has occurred.

>     * src/backend/commands/vacuum.c (REL7_2_STABLE): Back-patch fix to
>     not change pg_database.datvacuumxid or truncate CLOG when an
>     unprivileged user runs VACUUM.

>     * src/backend/utils/adt/ruleutils.c (REL7_2_STABLE): Back-patch fix
>     for failure to dump views containing FULL JOIN USING.  The bug is
>     not present in CVS tip due to cleanup of JOIN handling, but 7.2.*
>     is broken.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: 7.2.3 patching done

From
Yury Bokhoncovich
Date:
Hello!

BTW, is it possible to have just patch against previous version (to reduce
traffic and CPU)? I.e. something like 7.2.2-7.2.3.diff.gz?

--
WBR, Yury Bokhoncovich, Senior System Administrator, NOC of F1 Group.
Phone: +7 (3832) 106228, ext.140, E-mail: byg@center-f1.ru.

Re: 7.2.3 patching done

Date:
Yury Bokhoncovich wrote:
> Hello!
>
> BTW, is it possible to have just patch against previous version (to reduce
> traffic and CPU)? I.e. something like 7.2.2-7.2.3.diff.gz?

In some releases, it is possible, in others we add/remove files and it
isn't possible.  I think because it isn't always possible we normally
don't do it.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: 7.2.3 patching done

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Bruce Momjian writes:

> > BTW, is it possible to have just patch against previous version (to reduce
> > traffic and CPU)? I.e. something like 7.2.2-7.2.3.diff.gz?
>
> In some releases, it is possible, in others we add/remove files and it
> isn't possible.  I think because it isn't always possible we normally
> don't do it.

Adding or removing files isn't the problem (see -N option).  Binary files
are the problem.

Using xdelta would be safe, though.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: 7.2.3 patching done

Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > > BTW, is it possible to have just patch against previous version (to reduce
> > > traffic and CPU)? I.e. something like 7.2.2-7.2.3.diff.gz?
> >
> > In some releases, it is possible, in others we add/remove files and it
> > isn't possible.  I think because it isn't always possible we normally
> > don't do it.
>
> Adding or removing files isn't the problem (see -N option).  Binary files
> are the problem.

Do we change any binary files in minor releases, or even major ones?

Pennsylvania19073

Re: 7.2.3 patching done

Date:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Adding or removing files isn't the problem (see -N option).  Binary files
>> are the problem.

> Do we change any binary files in minor releases, or even major ones?

But the source distribution hasn't *got* any binary files.
        regards, tom lane

Re: 7.2.3 patching done

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> >> Adding or removing files isn't the problem (see -N option).  Binary files
> >> are the problem.
>
> > Do we change any binary files in minor releases, or even major ones?
>
> But the source distribution hasn't *got* any binary files.

Yea, that was sort of my point.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: 7.2.3 patching done

From
Yury Bokhoncovich
Date:
Hello!

On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> In some releases, it is possible, in others we add/remove files and it
> isn't possible.  I think because it isn't always possible we normally
> don't do it.

I think it's enough to do diffs for minor release (i.e. 7.2.2->7.2.3,
7.3.0->7.3.1 and so on). BTW, I had no problems with patching Linux kernel
this way (e.g. having vanilla 2.2.16 then sequentially patch for 2.2.17,
.18, .19, .20, .21, .22) though there were added directories.

--

Tom Lane writes:

> But the source distribution hasn't *got* any binary files.

There are some under doc/src/graphics, and then there are
doc/postgres.tar.gz and doc/man.tar.gz.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: 7.2.3 patching done

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 09:22:38PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Tom Lane writes:
>
> > But the source distribution hasn't *got* any binary files.
>
> There are some under doc/src/graphics, and then there are
> doc/postgres.tar.gz and doc/man.tar.gz.

And what about publishing xdelta patches?

"Escucha y olvidarás; ve y recordarás; haz y entenderás" (Confucio)