Web site

From
Gavin Sherry
Date:
Hi all,

It occurs to me that opening web page on www.postgresql.org, asking the
user to select the mirror, is rather unprofessional. I am sure this has
been discussed before but I thought I would bring it up again anyway.

So, why not just redirect people to one of the mirrors listed? This could
be done based on IP (yes it is inaccurate but it is close enough and has
the same net effect: pushing people off the main web server) or it could
be done by simply redirecting to a random mirror.

From a quick look, there is nothing of any real size on the site
(excluding developer.postgresql.org, which is not the issue) to warrant
people wanting to access a geographically local server anyway. (Unlike the
case of FTP, for which the list of mirrors is very useful).

Gavin

Re: Web site

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Gavin Sherry wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> It occurs to me that opening web page on www.postgresql.org, asking the
> user to select the mirror, is rather unprofessional. I am sure this has
> been discussed before but I thought I would bring it up again anyway.

Already being worked on ...

> So, why not just redirect people to one of the mirrors listed? This
> could be done based on IP (yes it is inaccurate but it is close enough
> and has the same net effect: pushing people off the main web server) or
> it could be done by simply redirecting to a random mirror.

Have tried both in the past with disastrous results ...

Re: Web site

From
Gavin Sherry
Date:
> > could be done based on IP (yes it is inaccurate but it is close enough
> > and has the same net effect: pushing people off the main web server) or
> > it could be done by simply redirecting to a random mirror.
>
> Have tried both in the past with disastrous results ...

What method will be employed instead?

Gavin

Re: Web site

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Gavin Sherry wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> It occurs to me that opening web page on www.postgresql.org, asking the
> user to select the mirror, is rather unprofessional. I am sure this has
> been discussed before but I thought I would bring it up again anyway.

Your point?

> So, why not just redirect people to one of the mirrors listed? This could
> be done based on IP (yes it is inaccurate but it is close enough and has
> the same net effect: pushing people off the main web server) or it could
> be done by simply redirecting to a random mirror.

Been there, done that, didn't work.  Too much of a job to keep track of
that many IP blocks too.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net        56K Nationwide Dialup from $16.00/mo
atPop4 Networking     http://www.camping-usa.com      http://www.cloudninegifts.com  http://www.meanstreamradio.com
 http://www.unknown-artists.com

Re: Web site

From
"Ross J. Reedstrom"
Date:
On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 03:59:33AM -0400, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Gavin Sherry wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > It occurs to me that opening web page on www.postgresql.org, asking the
> > user to select the mirror, is rather unprofessional. I am sure this has
> > been discussed before but I thought I would bring it up again anyway.
>
> Your point?
>
> > So, why not just redirect people to one of the mirrors listed? This could
> > be done based on IP (yes it is inaccurate but it is close enough and has
> > the same net effect: pushing people off the main web server) or it could
> > be done by simply redirecting to a random mirror.
>
> Been there, done that, didn't work.  Too much of a job to keep track of
> that many IP blocks too.

I'd suggest setting a cookie, so I only see the 'pick a mirror' the
first time. And provide a link to 'pick a different mirror' that resets
or ignores the cookie.

Ross

Re: Web site

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Ross J. Reedstrom wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 03:59:33AM -0400, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> > On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Gavin Sherry wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > It occurs to me that opening web page on www.postgresql.org, asking the
> > > user to select the mirror, is rather unprofessional. I am sure this has
> > > been discussed before but I thought I would bring it up again anyway.
> >
> > Your point?
> >
> > > So, why not just redirect people to one of the mirrors listed? This could
> > > be done based on IP (yes it is inaccurate but it is close enough and has
> > > the same net effect: pushing people off the main web server) or it could
> > > be done by simply redirecting to a random mirror.
> >
> > Been there, done that, didn't work.  Too much of a job to keep track of
> > that many IP blocks too.
>

> I'd suggest setting a cookie, so I only see the 'pick a mirror' the
> first time. And provide a link to 'pick a different mirror' that resets
> or ignores the cookie.

Or choose the mirror that works best for you and bookmark it.

Date:
On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 11:26:55AM -0400, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Ross J. Reedstrom wrote:
> >
> > I'd suggest setting a cookie, so I only see the 'pick a mirror' the
> > first time. And provide a link to 'pick a different mirror' that resets
> > or ignores the cookie.
>
> Or choose the mirror that works best for you and bookmark it.

Of course, that's what _I_ do, but the dicussion was how to make the
frontpage 'user friendly' and 'professional'. Lots of global corps. do
the 'pick your geographical region' thing, but mainly for sales reasons,
so it must be professional, right?

Ross

Re: Web site

From
Neil Conway
Date:
Gavin Sherry <swm@linuxworld.com.au> writes:
> It occurs to me that opening web page on www.postgresql.org, asking the
> user to select the mirror, is rather unprofessional.

I agree; not only that, it has advertisements on it. What's the
justification for that, considering that none of the mirror sites
(AFAIK) have ads on them?

Cheers,

Neil

Re: Web site

Date:
Neil Conway wrote:
> Gavin Sherry <swm@linuxworld.com.au> writes:
> > It occurs to me that opening web page on www.postgresql.org, asking the
> > user to select the mirror, is rather unprofessional.
>
> I agree; not only that, it has advertisements on it. What's the
> justification for that, considering that none of the mirror sites
> (AFAIK) have ads on them?

I wondered that myself.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Web site

From
"Michael Paesold"
Date:
Ross J. Reedstrom wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 03:59:33AM -0400, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> > On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Gavin Sherry wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > It occurs to me that opening web page on www.postgresql.org, asking
the
> > > user to select the mirror, is rather unprofessional. I am sure this
has
> > > been discussed before but I thought I would bring it up again anyway.
> >
> > Your point?
> >
> > > So, why not just redirect people to one of the mirrors listed? This
could
> > > be done based on IP (yes it is inaccurate but it is close enough and
has
> > > the same net effect: pushing people off the main web server) or it
could
> > > be done by simply redirecting to a random mirror.
> >
> > Been there, done that, didn't work.  Too much of a job to keep track of
> > that many IP blocks too.
>

> I'd suggest setting a cookie, so I only see the 'pick a mirror' the
> first time. And provide a link to 'pick a different mirror' that resets
> or ignores the cookie.

If I had a vote, I would vote +1 for this option. I think it's easy to
implement and shouldn't have negative effects on performance.

Regards,
Michael Paesold

Re: Web site

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On 24 Sep 2002, Neil Conway wrote:

> Gavin Sherry <swm@linuxworld.com.au> writes:
> > It occurs to me that opening web page on www.postgresql.org, asking the
> > user to select the mirror, is rather unprofessional.
>
> I agree; not only that, it has advertisements on it. What's the
> justification for that, considering that none of the mirror sites
> (AFAIK) have ads on them?

Actually, that is part of the redesign as well ...

Re: Web site

From
Sean Chittenden
Date:
> > > could be done based on IP (yes it is inaccurate but it is close enough
> > > and has the same net effect: pushing people off the main web server) or
> > > it could be done by simply redirecting to a random mirror.
> >
> > Have tried both in the past with disastrous results ...
>
> What method will be employed instead?

Anyone thought about using GeoIP and writing a script that'd dump the
database into something that could be postgresql usable?  Just a
thought.  -sc

--
Sean Chittenden

Re: Web site

From
CoL
Date:
Hi,

>>So, why not just redirect people to one of the mirrors listed? This
>>could be done based on IP (yes it is inaccurate but it is close enough
>>and has the same net effect: pushing people off the main web server) or
>>it could be done by simply redirecting to a random mirror.
I think it would be stupid, I am, who wants to decide where to go. If I
feel that .co.uk is better than others I'll chose that, and bookmark if
I want.
(random??? brbrbrbrbr) :)

C.

Re: Web site

From
"Dave Page"

I think it's safe to say we will *not* be doing this...

Regards, Dave.