timestamp column default changed?

From
Laurette Cisneros
Date:
If you define a column as:
col    timestamp
In 7.2.x didn't it default to timestamp with timezone?

And now in 7.3(b1) it defaults to timestamp without timezone?

Is this right?

--
Laurette Cisneros
The Database Group

Re: timestamp column default changed?

Date:
Laurette Cisneros wrote:

> If you define a column as:
> col    timestamp
> In 7.2.x didn't it default to timestamp with timezone?
>
> And now in 7.3(b1) it defaults to timestamp without timezone?

/HISTORY says right at the top:
    * TIMESTAMP and TIME data types now default to WITHOUT TIMEZONE

Pennsylvania19073

Re: timestamp column default changed?

From
Laurette Cisneros
Date:
I'm sure you all have discussed this ad-nauseum but this sure does create a
pain in the butt when converting.

Ok, I had my say.

Thanks for all your hard work,

L.
On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Laurette Cisneros wrote:
> >
> > If you define a column as:
> > col    timestamp
> > In 7.2.x didn't it default to timestamp with timezone?
> >
> > And now in 7.3(b1) it defaults to timestamp without timezone?
>
> /HISTORY says right at the top:
>
>      * TIMESTAMP and TIME data types now default to WITHOUT TIMEZONE

--
Laurette Cisneros
The Database Group
(510) 420-3137
NextBus Information Systems, Inc.
www.nextbus.com
----------------------------------
A wiki we will go...

Re: timestamp column default changed?

Date:
I think the SQL standards required the change.

Laurette Cisneros wrote:
> I'm sure you all have discussed this ad-nauseum but this sure does create a
> pain in the butt when converting.
>
> Ok, I had my say.
>
> Thanks for all your hard work,
>
> L.
> On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Laurette Cisneros wrote:
> > >
> > > If you define a column as:
> > > col    timestamp
> > > In 7.2.x didn't it default to timestamp with timezone?
> > >
> > > And now in 7.3(b1) it defaults to timestamp without timezone?
> >
> > /HISTORY says right at the top:
> >
> >      * TIMESTAMP and TIME data types now default to WITHOUT TIMEZONE
> >

> --
> Laurette Cisneros
> The Database Group
> (510) 420-3137
> NextBus Information Systems, Inc.
> www.nextbus.com
> ----------------------------------
> A wiki we will go...

Pennsylvania19073

Re: timestamp column default changed?

From
Laurette Cisneros
Date:
I understand.  Thanks for pointing that out.

--
Laurette Cisneros
The Database Group
(510) 420-3137
NextBus Information Systems, Inc.
www.nextbus.com
A wiki we will go...

Re: timestamp column default changed?

From
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Date:
timestamp becoming timestamp without time zone is actually the SQL
standard...

Chris