source code indexer

From
Laurette Cisneros
Date:
HI all,

Sorry to interrupt your busy list.

I was wondering if you could recomend a good source code db/indexer that
could be used to search through the postgresql code?

Laurette Cisneros
The Database Group
(510) 420-3137
NextBus Information Systems, Inc.
www.nextbus.com
----------------------------------
A wiki we will go...

Re: source code indexer

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Laurette Cisneros dijo:

Hi,

> I was wondering if you could recomend a good source code db/indexer that
> could be used to search through the postgresql code?

Some people here use something called glimpse AFAIR.  I don't even know
it.

Officer Krupke, what are we to do?
Gee, officer Krupke, Krup you! (West Side Story, "Gee, Officer Krupke")

Re: source code indexer

From
Joe Conway
Date:
Laurette Cisneros wrote:
> HI all,
>
> Sorry to interrupt your busy list.
>
> I was wondering if you could recomend a good source code db/indexer that
> could be used to search through the postgresql code?

I think the real pros use grep and emacs ;-)

But for us mere mortals, I find LXR very useful. I have set one up for
my own use -- it gets rebuilt from cvs nightly. If you are interested see:
  https://www.joeconway.com/lxr.pgsql/

use login name "lxr" and password "pglxr" (without the quotes)

HTH,

Joe

Re: source code indexer

From
"Dann Corbit"
Date:
Grep just to find things.

Doxygen to see what is going on in exquisite detail.

Re: source code indexer

From
Laurette Cisneros
Date:
Ah.  Great!  I had download lxr and was starting to dig in to insatall it
and thought I would check with the pgers to see what they recommended.
Glad to see someone has done this.

Thanks,

L.

--
Laurette Cisneros
The Database Group
(510) 420-3137
NextBus Information Systems, Inc.
www.nextbus.com
----------------------------------
A wiki we will go...

Re: source code indexer

From
Manfred Koizar
Date:
On Fri, 30 Aug 2002 11:57:17 -0700 (PDT), Laurette Cisneros
<laurette@nextbus.com> wrote:
>I was wondering if you could recomend a good source code db/indexer that
>could be used to search through the postgresql code?

I use Source Navigator v5.1 http://sourceforge.net/projects/sourcenav/

ServusManfred

Re: source code indexer

From
"Nigel J. Andrews"
Date:
On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, Laurette Cisneros wrote:

> HI all,
>
> Sorry to interrupt your busy list.
>
> I was wondering if you could recomend a good source code db/indexer that
> could be used to search through the postgresql code?

I think I must be one of those 'old school' types. I use
find <somedir> <some spec.> | xargs grep

often followed by tags in Emacs.

It isn't perfect but then I'm not either.

--
Nigel J. Andrews
Director

---
Logictree Systems Limited
Computer Consultants

Re: source code indexer

Date:
Nigel J. Andrews wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, Laurette Cisneros wrote:
>

> > HI all,
> >
> > Sorry to interrupt your busy list.
> >
> > I was wondering if you could recommend a good source code db/indexer that
> > could be used to search through the postgresql code?
>
> I think I must be one of those 'old school' types. I use
>
>     find <somedir> <some spec.> | xargs grep
>
> often followed by tags in Emacs.
>
> It isn't perfect but then I'm not either.

I use a commercial editor called Crisp, which is unfortunately a
commercial product.  It runs on almost any platform:
ftp://207.106.42.251/pub/crisp.gif

I have found several editor features a great help in PostgreSQL
development:
programmable macro languagekeyboard record/playbackcolorizationlist of functions in the filetags jump to function
definitioncross-referencelistings

They are not a big deal when you are making localized changes.  In fact,
I just used a character-mode editor for those, but when I have to
analyze the code or make massive changes, those features make it easier.

The screenshot I listed has the functions listed on the left, the
cross-reference information at the bottom, and a colorized main editor
window.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: source code indexer

From
Curt Sampson
Date:
On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, Nigel J. Andrews wrote:

> I think I must be one of those 'old school' types. I use
>
>     find <somedir> <some spec.> | xargs grep
>
> often followed by tags in Emacs.

You might find that Gnu id-tools is a much faster way of
doing this, especially for large amounts of source code.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.netbsd.org   Don't you know, in this new Dark Age, we're
alllight.  --XTC

Re: source code indexer

From
Laurette Cisneros
Date:
Thanks to everyone who made suggestions.
I have found Source Navigator to be very close and useful for what I was
looking for!
Thanks again,
L.