Re: [INTERFACES] Schemas: status report, call for developers

From
"Dave Page"

Thanks Tom, this is just the post I've been waiting for!

To anyone thinking of hacking pgAdmin at the moment -> now would
probably not be the best time as I will be *seriously* restructuring
pgSchema.

Regards, Dave.

Re: [INTERFACES] Schemas: status report, call for developers

From
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Date:
> > JDBC and ODBC metadata code is certainly broken; so are the
> > catalog lookups in pgaccess, pgadmin, and so on.  psql and
> > pg_dump are broken as well (though I will take responsibility
> > for fixing pg_dump, and will then look at psql if no one else
> > has done it by then).  I'm not even sure what else might need
> > to change.

phpPgAdmin (WebDB) will be broken as well.  I think myself and at least a
few other committers lurk here tho.

Other things that will break:

TOra
Various KDE interfaces

Chris

Re: [INTERFACES] Schemas: status report, call for developers

From
"Ross J. Reedstrom"
Date:
On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 10:05:23AM +0800, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> phpPgAdmin (WebDB) will be broken as well.  I think myself and at least a
> few other committers lurk here tho.
>
> Other things that will break:
>
> TOra
> Various KDE interfaces

GNUe will break, as well.

Ross

Re: [INTERFACES] Schemas: status report, call for developers

From
"Rod Taylor"
Date:
I think it would be much faster simply to list of the programs that
use Postgresql internals that won't break.
--
Rod

Date:
"Ross J. Reedstrom" <reedstrm@rice.edu> writes:
> GNUe will break, as well.

Do I hear a volunteer to fix it?
        regards, tom lane

Re: [INTERFACES] Schemas: status report, call for developers

Date:
"Rod Taylor" <rbt@zort.ca> writes:
> I think it would be much faster simply to list of the programs that
> use Postgresql internals that won't break.

Approximately none, I'm sure :-(.  This thread isn't about that, it's
about stirring up the troops to fix everything that must be fixed.
        regards, tom lane

Date:
On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 12:03:00AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Ross J. Reedstrom" <reedstrm@rice.edu> writes:
> > GNUe will break, as well.
>
> Do I hear a volunteer to fix it?

I'm willing to implement whatever clever solution we all come up with.
I'll have to coordinate w/ the GNUe IRC folks to get it checked in.

Ross

Re: [INTERFACES] Schemas: status report, call for developers

Date:
"Ross J. Reedstrom" <reedstrm@rice.edu> writes:
>>> GNUe will break, as well.
> I'm willing to implement whatever clever solution we all come up with.

If you need help in inventing a solution, it'd be a good idea to explain
the problem.  Personally I'm not familiar with GNUe ...
        regards, tom lane

Date:
On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 12:56:00AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > I'm willing to implement whatever clever solution we all come up with.
>
> If you need help in inventing a solution, it'd be a good idea to explain
> the problem.  Personally I'm not familiar with GNUe ...

I think all the interfaces are having the same fundemental problem: how to
limit the tables 'seen' to a particular list of schema (those in the path).

GNUe is GNU Enterprise System - a somewhat grandiose name for a business
middleware solutions project. It's highly modular, with a common core to
deal with things like DB access. There's a reasonably nice forms designer
to handle quickie 2-tier DB apps (client-server, skip the middleware).

Right now, it's mostly coded in python.  I'm taking off on a
business trip for the remainder of the week, starting tomorrow (err
today?!) morning. I'll take the GNUe code along and see what it's db
schema discovery code is actually doing, and think about what sort of
clever things to do. I think for GNUe, we might get away with requiring
the end-user (designer) to select a particular schema to work in, and then
just qualify everything.

Later,
Ross