syslog support by default

From
Tatsuo Ishii
Date:
Can we enable syslog support by default for 7.3?
--
Tatsuo Ishii

Re: syslog support by default

Date:
> Can we enable syslog support by default for 7.3?

AFAIR, we agreed to flip the default some time ago, we just didn't
want to do it late in the 7.2 cycle.  Go for it.
        regards, tom lane

Date:
> Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii@sra.co.jp> writes:
> > Can we enable syslog support by default for 7.3?
>
> AFAIR, we agreed to flip the default some time ago, we just didn't
> want to do it late in the 7.2 cycle.  Go for it.

Ok. I'll work on this.
--
Tatsuo Ishii

Re: syslog support by default

From
Peter Eisentraut
Tom Lane writes:

> Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii@sra.co.jp> writes:
> > Can we enable syslog support by default for 7.3?
>
> AFAIR, we agreed to flip the default some time ago, we just didn't
> want to do it late in the 7.2 cycle.  Go for it.

I think if no one complains about the lack of syslog on his machine we
should just remove the option in 7.3+1.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: syslog support by default

From
Hannu Krosing
Date:
On Fri, 2002-04-19 at 05:28, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Tom Lane writes:
>
> > Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii@sra.co.jp> writes:
> > > Can we enable syslog support by default for 7.3?
> >
> > AFAIR, we agreed to flip the default some time ago, we just didn't
> > want to do it late in the 7.2 cycle.  Go for it.
>
> I think if no one complains about the lack of syslog on his machine we
> should just remove the option in 7.3+1.

My experience has been that logging to syslog makes postgres much
slower.

Can anyone confirm or refute this ?

--------------
Hannu

Date:

> > > AFAIR, we agreed to flip the default some time ago, we just didn't
> > > want to do it late in the 7.2 cycle.  Go for it.
> >
> > I think if no one complains about the lack of syslog on his machine we
> > should just remove the option in 7.3+1.
>
> My experience has been that logging to syslog makes postgres much
> slower.

What's the problem with this? Even if that's true, you could easily
turn off syslog logging by tweaking postgresql.conf.
--
Tatsuo Ishii

Re: syslog support by default

From
Mario Weilguni
Date:
> My experience has been that logging to syslog makes postgres much
> slower.
>
> Can anyone confirm or refute this ?
Do you use synchronous write with syslog? Try to add a dash in
/etc/syslog.conf

e.g.
instead of
local3.*                                         /var/log/syslog.postgres
use

Date:
On Fri, 2002-04-19 at 08:15, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:

> > > I think if no one complains about the lack of syslog on his machine we
> > > should just remove the option in 7.3+1.
> >
> > My experience has been that logging to syslog makes postgres much
> > slower.
>
> What's the problem with this? Even if that's true, you could easily
> turn off syslog logging by tweaking postgresql.conf.

I was worried about the comment of removing the other options. in 7.3+1.
At least this is how i interpreted that comment.

-------------
Hannu

Date:

> > > My experience has been that logging to syslog makes postgres much
> > > slower.
> >
> > What's the problem with this? Even if that's true, you could easily
> > turn off syslog logging by tweaking postgresql.conf.
>
> I was worried about the comment of removing the other options. in 7.3+1.
> At least this is how i interpreted that comment.

In my understanding we are going to turn on the --enable-syslog
*configure* option by default (or remove the configuration option
completely), but not change the syslog option in postgresql.conf
(currently default to 0: that means not output to syslog).
--

Date:
> In my understanding we are going to turn on the --enable-syslog
> *configure* option by default (or remove the configuration option
> completely), but not change the syslog option in postgresql.conf
> (currently default to 0: that means not output to syslog).

Right.  We are only going to make the syslog support code be there
in the default build; we are not forcing anyone to use it.
        regards, tom lane

Date:
> Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii@sra.co.jp> writes:
> > In my understanding we are going to turn on the --enable-syslog
> > *configure* option by default (or remove the configuration option
> > completely), but not change the syslog option in postgresql.conf
> > (currently default to 0: that means not output to syslog).
>
> Right.  We are only going to make the syslog support code be there
> in the default build; we are not forcing anyone to use it.

I have removed the --enable-syslog option. Now as far as the system
has syslog(), the syslog support code is always in the build.
If this seems ok, I will update the doc.
--

Date:
> I have removed the --enable-syslog option. Now as far as the system
> has syslog(), the syslog support code is always in the build.
> If this seems ok, I will update the doc.

Seems reasonable.  It might be a good idea for configure to verify
that the <syslog.h> header is present, as well as the syslog() library
routine, before enabling HAVE_SYSLOG.
        regards, tom lane

Re: syslog support by default

Date:
Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
> > Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii@sra.co.jp> writes:
> > > In my understanding we are going to turn on the --enable-syslog
> > > *configure* option by default (or remove the configuration option
> > > completely), but not change the syslog option in postgresql.conf
> > > (currently default to 0: that means not output to syslog).
> >
> > Right.  We are only going to make the syslog support code be there
> > in the default build; we are not forcing anyone to use it.
>
> I have removed the --enable-syslog option. Now as far as the system
> has syslog(), the syslog support code is always in the build.
> If this seems ok, I will update the doc.

TODO updated:
* -Compile in syslog functionaility by default (Tatsuo)

Pennsylvania19026

Date:
> Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii@sra.co.jp> writes:
> > I have removed the --enable-syslog option. Now as far as the system
> > has syslog(), the syslog support code is always in the build.
> > If this seems ok, I will update the doc.
>
> Seems reasonable.  It might be a good idea for configure to verify
> that the <syslog.h> header is present, as well as the syslog() library
> routine, before enabling HAVE_SYSLOG.

Done.
--
Tatsuo Ishii