questions on ALTER TABLE ... OWNER

From
nconway@klamath.dyndns.org (Neil Conway)
Date:
Hi all,

Currently, ALTER TABLE ... OWNER will change the ownership of a table,
view, sequence or index -- despite the fact that its name hints that it
is only for 'altering tables'.

1) Is this behavior optimal? There is clearly a need to change the
ownership of relations other than tables, but it seems to me that
pushing this functionality into ALTER TABLE is unintuitive.

On the other hand, creating ALTER INDEX ... OWNER, ALTER SEQUENCE ...
OWNER, etc. seems like overkill.

2) Should we perhaps warn the user, if they use 'ALTER TABLE ... OWNER'
on a non-table relation?

3) Should this behavior be documented? Currently the docs on ALTER TABLE
... OWNER say nothing about changing the ownership of non-table
relations.

Cheers,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilconway@rogers.com>
PGP Key ID: DB3C29FC

Re: questions on ALTER TABLE ... OWNER

Date:
nconway@klamath.dyndns.org (Neil Conway) writes:
> Currently, ALTER TABLE ... OWNER will change the ownership of a table,
> view, sequence or index -- despite the fact that its name hints that it
> is only for 'altering tables'.

> 1) Is this behavior optimal? There is clearly a need to change the
> ownership of relations other than tables, but it seems to me that
> pushing this functionality into ALTER TABLE is unintuitive.

> On the other hand, creating ALTER INDEX ... OWNER, ALTER SEQUENCE ...
> OWNER, etc. seems like overkill.

Definitely overkill.  I'd say tweak the docs and leave the code alone.
        regards, tom lane

Date:
On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 02:03:38PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> nconway@klamath.dyndns.org (Neil Conway) writes:
> > Currently, ALTER TABLE ... OWNER will change the ownership of a table,
> > view, sequence or index -- despite the fact that its name hints that it
> > is only for 'altering tables'.
>
> > 1) Is this behavior optimal? There is clearly a need to change the
> > ownership of relations other than tables, but it seems to me that
> > pushing this functionality into ALTER TABLE is unintuitive.
>
> > On the other hand, creating ALTER INDEX ... OWNER, ALTER SEQUENCE ...
> > OWNER, etc. seems like overkill.
>
> Definitely overkill.

You're probably right -- although there is a symmetry between 'create
sequence', 'alter sequence', and 'drop sequence', rather than 'create
sequence', 'alter table' and 'drop sequence'.

BTW, the same semantic problems also apply to ALTER TABLE ... rename.

> I'd say tweak the docs and leave the code alone.

Okay, fixed. I also corrected another minor inaccuracy in the ALTER
TABLE docs.

Bruce/Tom: Please apply for 7.2.1 and 7.3.

Cheers,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilconway@rogers.com>
PGP Key ID: DB3C29FC

Attachment

Re: questions on ALTER TABLE ... OWNER

From
Philip Warner
Date:
At 12:24 19/02/02 -0500, Neil Conway wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Currently, ALTER TABLE ... OWNER will change the ownership of a table,
>view, sequence or index -- despite the fact that its name hints that it

Does it automatically alter the ownership of items 'owned' by the table
(eg. PK indexes & serial sequences) when a table owner is altered?

PGP key available upon request,  |  /
and from pgp5.ai.mit.edu:11371   |/

Date:
On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 07:39:18AM +1100, Philip Warner wrote:
> At 12:24 19/02/02 -0500, Neil Conway wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >
> >Currently, ALTER TABLE ... OWNER will change the ownership of a table,
> >view, sequence or index -- despite the fact that its name hints that it
>
> Does it automatically alter the ownership of items 'owned' by the table
> (eg. PK indexes & serial sequences) when a table owner is altered?

No, AFAICT. Should it?

Cheers,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilconway@rogers.com>
PGP Key ID: DB3C29FC

Re: questions on ALTER TABLE ... OWNER

Date:
Sorry, 7.3 only.  Doc changes aren't really done for minor releases.

Neil Conway wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 02:03:38PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > nconway@klamath.dyndns.org (Neil Conway) writes:
> > > Currently, ALTER TABLE ... OWNER will change the ownership of a table,
> > > view, sequence or index -- despite the fact that its name hints that it
> > > is only for 'altering tables'.
> >
> > > 1) Is this behavior optimal? There is clearly a need to change the
> > > ownership of relations other than tables, but it seems to me that
> > > pushing this functionality into ALTER TABLE is unintuitive.
> >
> > > On the other hand, creating ALTER INDEX ... OWNER, ALTER SEQUENCE ...
> > > OWNER, etc. seems like overkill.
> >
> > Definitely overkill.
>
> You're probably right -- although there is a symmetry between 'create
> sequence', 'alter sequence', and 'drop sequence', rather than 'create
> sequence', 'alter table' and 'drop sequence'.
>
> BTW, the same semantic problems also apply to ALTER TABLE ... rename.
>
> > I'd say tweak the docs and leave the code alone.
>
> Okay, fixed. I also corrected another minor inaccuracy in the ALTER
> TABLE docs.
>
> Bruce/Tom: Please apply for 7.2.1 and 7.3.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Neil
>
> --
> Neil Conway <neilconway@rogers.com>