Status on RC1?

Date:
Where are we on the RC1 release?  What are the open items?  I have
gotten lost.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Status on RC1?

Date:
> Where are we on the RC1 release?  What are the open items?

* That missing "July" entry in datetime.c (Thomas indicated that he'd fix that, but as far as I've seen he didn't
commityet).

* I think there are some unapplied NLS submissions (Peter seems to be keeping track of those).

* Probable bug in vacuum's tuple chain moving, per my message of the 18th (Vadim hasn't responded to that yet).

* Hiroshi reported a regression failure on R4000 SysV awhile back, but with no followup details there's little we can
do.

* Have you committed the SunOS memcmp fix yet?

In addition to these we have some unresolved bug reports about
duplicated tuples and sequences being mis-restored after crashes.
However, those bugs (if real) are in 7.1.*, so they don't seem
like a good reason to hold off a 7.2 release.

That's everything on my hot-list.

Perhaps we should be thinking about a docs freeze and the usual
other preparations for release.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Status on RC1?

Date:
> > Where are we on the RC1 release?  What are the open items?
>
> * That missing "July" entry in datetime.c (Thomas indicated that he'd
>   fix that, but as far as I've seen he didn't commit yet).

Yes, I have that in my mailbox too, with Thomas's patch.

> * I think there are some unapplied NLS submissions (Peter seems to be
>   keeping track of those).

Yep, I see those.  Waiting on Peter for application.

> * Probable bug in vacuum's tuple chain moving, per my message of the
>   18th (Vadim hasn't responded to that yet).
>
> * Hiroshi reported a regression failure on R4000 SysV awhile back,
>   but with no followup details there's little we can do.
>
> * Have you committed the SunOS memcmp fix yet?

Yes.  Stuck in queue for moderator because the subject has the word
"config."

> In addition to these we have some unresolved bug reports about
> duplicated tuples and sequences being mis-restored after crashes.
> However, those bugs (if real) are in 7.1.*, so they don't seem
> like a good reason to hold off a 7.2 release.
>
> That's everything on my hot-list.
>
> Perhaps we should be thinking about a docs freeze and the usual
> other preparations for release.

Seems we should move ahead.  We have to leave something for the minor
releases.  :-)

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Status on RC1?

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
> * That missing "July" entry in datetime.c

OK, I've committed the fix. Also, I removed a few duplicate lines from
odbc.sql left over from my last ill-fated update attempt via my bad DSL
line (looks like they fixed it today. woohoo!).
                    - Thomas

Re: Status on RC1?

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
> > * That missing "July" entry in datetime.c
> OK, I've committed the fix.

fwiw, I seem to have lost that line in September, when I added more ISO
time support to the date/time routines. I've checked the rest of that
same update and nothing else seems to be missing; must have been an
editing fat finger on my part...
                  - Thomas

Re: Status on RC1?

Date:
Thomas Lockhart <lockhart@fourpalms.org> writes:
>> * That missing "July" entry in datetime.c
> OK, I've committed the fix.

Sounds good.  How are you feeling about the state of the documentation?
        regards, tom lane

Re: Status on RC1?

Date:
> There is doc/HISTORY, and doc/src/sgml/release.sgml which needs to be
> merged. We *should* be generating doc/HISTORY from the release.sgml
> source, but we apparently have never started doing that. Next release,
> we really should since the sgml docs could and should be the definitive
> source for this kind of information.
>
> For now, someone will need to hand-merge the contents of doc/HISTORY
> back into the sgml source file.

I have indicated the places where things should come from the HISTORY
file to release.sgml.  It would be nice to make it automatic.  I think
the problem we had was that ASCII output from SGML is kind of hard to
tweek to look good.

Whenever you want to get started, just cut-paste them over.  If you can
give me a little warning, I will make sure HISTORY is up to date with
CVS.  I know it is pretty close now.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Status on RC1?

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
> Sounds good.  How are you feeling about the state of the documentation?

Not bad afaict. I had made a tutorial hardcopy a couple of weeks ago
(nothing is likely to have changed on that one since then) and the
others should flow fairly quickly (much faster than in previous years).
Though I'm not sure if hardcopy is even going to be packaged into the
main release this time around, others will likely want to have them for,
say, RPM packaging (Lamar?).

I usually find a bunch of small things when going through the docs to
build the hardcopy.

There is doc/HISTORY, and doc/src/sgml/release.sgml which needs to be
merged. We *should* be generating doc/HISTORY from the release.sgml
source, but we apparently have never started doing that. Next release,
we really should since the sgml docs could and should be the definitive
source for this kind of information.

For now, someone will need to hand-merge the contents of doc/HISTORY
back into the sgml source file.
                  - Thomas

Re: Status on RC1?

Date:
Seems these are all done except for duplicates, but we picked up some
more in the mean time.  :-)

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Where are we on the RC1 release?  What are the open items?
>
> * That missing "July" entry in datetime.c (Thomas indicated that he'd
>   fix that, but as far as I've seen he didn't commit yet).
>
> * I think there are some unapplied NLS submissions (Peter seems to be
>   keeping track of those).
>
> * Probable bug in vacuum's tuple chain moving, per my message of the
>   18th (Vadim hasn't responded to that yet).
>
> * Hiroshi reported a regression failure on R4000 SysV awhile back,
>   but with no followup details there's little we can do.
>
> * Have you committed the SunOS memcmp fix yet?
>
> In addition to these we have some unresolved bug reports about
> duplicated tuples and sequences being mis-restored after crashes.
> However, those bugs (if real) are in 7.1.*, so they don't seem
> like a good reason to hold off a 7.2 release.
>
> That's everything on my hot-list.
>
> Perhaps we should be thinking about a docs freeze and the usual
> other preparations for release.
>
>             regards, tom lane

> http://archives.postgresql.org

Pennsylvania19026