upper and lower doesn't work with german umlaut?

From
"König, Frank"
Date:
hello, what is wrong?

postgresql 7.1.3
suse linux 7.1

configure postgresql:
./configure --prefix=$DIR_DEST --exec-prefix=$DIR_DEST
        --enable-local --enable-multibyte
        --enable-odbc --enable-syslog --with-java

init database:
$DIR_DEST/bin/initdb --pgdata=$DIR_DB01 --encoding=LATIN1

check LANG-variable:
postgres@server:/app/pgsql/bin > echo $LANG
de_DE

and that's the result:

    my_db=# select lower('ÄäÜüÖöß');
      lower
    ---------
     ÄäÜüÖöß
    (1 row)

uppercase umlauts are not converted.

thanks
frank

Re: upper and lower doesn't work with german umlaut?

Date:
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22K=F6nig=2C_Frank=22?= <Frank.Koenig@rossmann.de> writes:
> uppercase umlauts are not converted.

Did you run initdb with the correct LANG environment?

To check, run contrib/pg_controldata and see what it says about
LC_COLLATE and LC_CTYPE.

            regards, tom lane

Re: upper and lower doesn't work with german umlaut?

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
"König, Frank" writes:

> ./configure --prefix=$DIR_DEST --exec-prefix=$DIR_DEST
>         --enable-local --enable-multibyte                        ^^^^^
locale

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: upper and lower doesn't work with german umlaut?

Date:
> "K?nig, Frank" writes:
>
> > ./configure --prefix=$DIR_DEST --exec-prefix=$DIR_DEST
> >         --enable-local --enable-multibyte
>                          ^^^^^
> locale
>
> >         --enable-odbc --enable-syslog --with-java

And why does configure ignore flags it doesn't support.  I sure don't
like that.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: upper and lower doesn't work with german umlaut?

Date:
> And why does configure ignore flags it doesn't support.  I sure don't
> like that.

Complain to the GNU people.  I've always considered this a serious bug
in autoconf, but they steadfastly maintain it's a feature.
        regards, tom lane