java virtual machine

From
tweekie
Date:
Hello all

I asked this question a while back but got no response - is there any way of
creating a Java stored procedure in a postgres database ? I can see that
there is a built-in PL/sql type of environment and a python one but it would
be nice if I could migrate Java stored procedures in an Oracle database into
postgres.

Any comments?

Chris
----------------------------------------------------------   ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
----------------------------------------------------------                       http://www.usenet.com

Re: java virtual machine

From
Gunnar Rønning
Date:
* tweekie <None@news.tht.net> wrote:

| I asked this question a while back but got no response - is there any way of
| creating a Java stored procedure in a postgres database ? I can see that
| there is a built-in PL/sql type of environment and a python one but it would
| be nice if I could migrate Java stored procedures in an Oracle database into
| postgres.
|
| Any comments?

It would rock ;-) An Hungarian guy just sent a mail indicating that he
had a first prototype version of something with Kaffe up and running.
But I believe there is a lot of issues to be solved, especially
threading issues...

--
Gunnar Rønning - gunnar@polygnosis.com
Senior Consultant, Polygnosis AS, http://www.polygnosis.com/

Re: java virtual machine

From
Serguei Mokhov
Date:
--- tweekie <None@news.tht.net> wrote:
> I asked this question a while back but got no response - is there any way of
> creating a Java stored procedure in a postgres database ?

AFAIR, there was an answer to your question by Bruce,
and it was that PostgreSQL does not support Java
as a PL. The only languages are PL/pgSQL, PL/Python,
PL/Perl and PL/TCL if I'm not mistaken.

> I can see that
> there is a built-in PL/sql type of environment and a python one but it would
> be nice if I could migrate Java stored procedures in an Oracle database into
> postgres.
> Any comments?

Write PL/Java one day :)

-s

http://personals.yahoo.com

Re: java virtual machine

From
Sean Chittenden
Date:
> > I asked this question a while back but got no response - is there any way of
> > creating a Java stored procedure in a postgres database ?
>
> AFAIR, there was an answer to your question by Bruce,
> and it was that PostgreSQL does not support Java
> as a PL. The only languages are PL/pgSQL, PL/Python,
> PL/Perl and PL/TCL if I'm not mistaken.

PL/Ruby too.  ;)

> > I can see that
> > there is a built-in PL/sql type of environment and a python one but it would
> > be nice if I could migrate Java stored procedures in an Oracle database into
> > postgres.
> > Any comments?
>
> Write PL/Java one day :)

::shudder::  -sc